dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Student loans reconsolidated, now there are problems...

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 am

Post subject: Re: Student loans reconsolidated, now there are problems...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:10 pm 

Hello again everyone, First let me say that I again appreciate the frank and honest replies to my issue here, thanks for the advice its already helped me see a possible outlet from this issue.

Doinghomework, thanks again for your excellent responses, I feel your right about the grant issue; the school was very close mouthed about that when I questioned them. While I don’t feel anything truly nefarious was done on the schools part I do feel like they aren’t going out of their way to help, odd as I’m trying to give them money.

I will say that in all truth I’m not in this position because of the school, I really did this to myself being dumb enough to not check my facts and do research back when I first started school, lesson learned I guess, that was over a decade ago and I’m allot less naive now.

As you said not finishing isn’t really an option for me, not because it doesn’t make sense but simply because I chose to finish. Transferring to a difference school puts me in the same financial position, maybe a slightly less detrimental one but the same, id still need a consolidation or a loan, and id still spend time I don’t want to spend and money I don’t have.

However, looking for a job now in my field is an option, always has been really, like I said before, I’ve been working in retail because it’s a easy paycheck and grants me training and skills needed later in my eventual goal. But, I’ve never once seen a job opening in animation/design, or game design that didn’t have a requisite of a degree, most pointed to the need to have bachelors.

That’s why I’d ask Demetrius where you got your info about simply not needing a degree? Because what you said flies in the face of every piece of advice I’ve gotten and every job opportunity I’ve found in the last 10 years.

I mean no offence to your post but as I said before I’m not here to have people tell me what to or not to do, I already know what I’m doing with my life, I’d ask you again where this information came from, who gave it to you, etc. If you are an artist did you go through a similar situation, do you have a degree?

I know a gentleman at AIFL who is their former animation program director, he is in the habit of continually sending former students to blizzard interactive, some of these students my friends, and not one of them got a job without a degree.

It would be easier to believe what you say if even one person in my numerous contacts over the last decade had said something similar, but they haven’t. I have contacts from 3 separate schools, multiple professors, and other schools like Uarts in Philly, game design firms, animation companies, web startups, indie developers, etc. I don’t know anyone, currently working in my field, which doesn’t have some degree. So you will forgive me if I take your advice with a grain of salt.

I do understand the amount of school negativity I’ve seen from everyone, I don’t feel too great about them at the moment, but the question of finish or not finish isn’t really their fault, I chose to mess up all those years ago and now I’m paying for it, literally and figuratively.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 am 

First Serenity1980 welcome to the forums!

I worked retail for many years (7) while trying to finish a degree that would allow me to get into the industry I’ve always dreamed of working in. It wasn’t animation though. ;) I got an undergrad and masters degree before I made it into the industry. Took about 11 years but it was worth it! What I wanted to share is there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep up the hard work. Figure out the finances. Get through the degree. Keep your chin up! It will all work out.

Perhaps what Demetrius was emphasizing was the need for networking. I think getting to know people in the industry and going to conventions is great advice. I do have friends who’ve worked in the animation industry and I can think of very few or any really who don’t have at least a bachelor’s degree. Even if you were to get a job in animation there would be a ceiling you would hit regarding your career progression without the degree.

It seems a bit unclear what kind of accreditation the institution has in any? I’m just curious if the degree from the school you have your credits at would be looked at positively by potential employers?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm 

Some jobs will pay for your education if its relevant to your work. Get one of those.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2