Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

Post subject: Where should I start?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:15 pm 

Tried and tried. Failed and failed. I guess I make small advances. Looking now to start two accounts, one for the wife and one for myself. Give each of us responsibilites, and goals. I want to make sure that each of us are carrying the burden. Not just one person paying all the bills. Not both dipping into one pot blindly and useing up funds for other things not in the budget.
I have a real hard time with watching each an every penny. I would rather watch a larger sum at the begining and then as experience comes in learn to focus on the smaller parts.
Biggest issue. No margin, little room to cut expensis. I imagine that is a common story. Past problems include not looking at a budget and not following a budget. Current situation, we are on a budget and talking about it every 3-4 days. Adjusting and making plans. The future I see is that eventually we will start to look out a couple of months and not just a couple of weeks.
Questions, advise. Bring it on.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Where should I start?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:19 pm 

It sounds like you have thought about what caused you to fail in the past and are now trying to do something different. Perhaps if you share more details people here will be able to help you.

You say you just want to look out over a few days. That's fine as a start. SO, tell us what your income and expenses are between today and Friday October 19...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:08 pm 

Yeah I agree that we need more info for detailed answers. The bright spot is that you realize there's a problem but it sounds like you need a change in money behavior & a budget you can stick to.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm 

Nurd Pie wrote:
Tried and tried. Failed and failed.

Glad you are here to keep working at it. It is great that you are working together and talking about the budget every few days. Another member Brad recommended using You Need A Budget. I have started using it and I like it. It might work for you because you plan how you are going to spend your money before you actually spend it. It could help to get you both on board together.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:36 am 

Nurd Pie wrote:
Tried and tried. Failed and failed. I guess I make small advances. Looking now to start two accounts, one for the wife and one for myself. Give each of us responsibilites, and goals. I want to make sure that each of us are carrying the burden. Not just one person paying all the bills. Not both dipping into one pot blindly and useing up funds for other things not in the budget.
I have a real hard time with watching each an every penny. I would rather watch a larger sum at the begining and then as experience comes in learn to focus on the smaller parts.
Biggest issue. No margin, little room to cut expensis. I imagine that is a common story. Past problems include not looking at a budget and not following a budget. Current situation, we are on a budget and talking about it every 3-4 days. Adjusting and making plans. The future I see is that eventually we will start to look out a couple of months and not just a couple of weeks.
Questions, advise. Bring it on.

Good news is your on a budget. That’s a good first step. I do agree we need more information.

1. What are your fixed re-occurring expenses? What are your variable expenses?

2. What is your income? What is your wife’s income?

3. What are your debts? Do you have car payments? House payment?

As far as reducing costs/expenses see this thread.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm 

Post your budget, or at least monthly expenses. I'm sure we can help you find something to cut.

One thing that hits you stealthily is recurring expenses. Try to get rid of them or make them as small as possible.

Offline Profile E-mail