dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Fact or Fiction: One Credit Card Earns You No Credit

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Post subject: Re: Fact or Fiction: One Credit Card Earns You No Credit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:18 pm 

Hi taysel, I just wanted to circle back with you because I'm watching Suze Orman right now, and she just answered a question that gets to your issue. In order to establish credit if you are getting rejected for standard credit cards, Suze says the only way is to take out a secured credit card, but be careful to pay it off in full every month so that you don't have to pay interest. She says she's not a fan of secured cards, but it's really the only option for this situation now. Basically, just adding another expert voice in favor of what TCstr8 advised. Good luck!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fact or Fiction: One Credit Card Earns You No Credit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm 

I don't know if this helps, but out of college, since I used no credit cards in college, the first credit card I applied for I got rejected (no credit history) despite the fact that I had my own checking account paid bills on time, etc. So it was suggested to me to apply for a store credit card. So I used and paid off a store credit card, and after a year or so, applied and was accepted for a regular credit card.
I have a friend who did the same thing; unbelievably she was in her late 40's and never used a credit card, so had insufficient credit history, but was planning on getting a mortgage and needed a credit score. She also got a store credit card, used it regularly (charging small amounts and paying in full) and then got a regular credit card, and then the mortgage. This happened over a 3,4? year period of time.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2