Question about identity theft and credit freezes

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

alohabear

Question about identity theft and credit freezes

Postby alohabear » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Okay, I did something that is, at best, risky, and at worst, downright stupid. I won a radio call in, and provided them my SSN so they could generate a W2. At the time it made sense they need the information, but now I'm kicking myself for doing so.

Two questions:
1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid was that? (1 being mildly dumb and 10 being completely so). And..
2. Think I should freeze my credit just in case?

Ugh...

:tmi:

Tightwad

Re: Question about identity theft and credit freezes

Postby Tightwad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm

alohabear wrote:Okay, I did something that is, at best, risky, and at worst, downright stupid. I won a radio call in, and provided them my SSN so they could generate a W2. At the time it made sense they need the information, but now I'm kicking myself for doing so.

Two questions:
1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid was that? (1 being mildly dumb and 10 being completely so). And..
2. Think I should freeze my credit just in case?

Ugh...

:tmi:

I'd say about a 5. You got caught up in the moment.

I don't know if freezing your credit is needed but I'd keep a check on it at a minimum.

alohabear

Postby alohabear » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks, Tightwad. I've actually done stupid things that rank much higher than a 5 in the past, so I feel a little better. :)

I already pay monthly for a credit monitoring service through my bank and I can check my 3 reports at any time, so I will keep an even closer eye on them.

VinTek

Postby VinTek » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Depends on how much you won. I'd say at the outset, since you called in and they didn't solicit you, they're probably legit in asking your for the SSN.

Also, if what you've won has a value of $600 or more, they have a legal obligation to issue a 1099 to you. So if you won something above the threshold, yeah, they absolutely need your SSN.

Source: my wife, who is a CPA and also a former IRS auditor.

Tightwad

Postby Tightwad » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 am

alohabear wrote:Thanks, Tightwad. I've actually done stupid things that rank much higher than a 5 in the past, so I feel a little better. :)

I already pay monthly for a credit monitoring service through my bank and I can check my 3 reports at any time, so I will keep an even closer eye on them.

You're welcome. VinTek makes a good point that you called them & not the other way around so you're probably fine. There's probably no more risk of fraud in this case than there would be for handing a waitress at a restaurant your credit card.

Return to “Personal Finance”