Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Post subject: Severe Credit Decline & Onset of Depression
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:39 pm 

About 15 years back my credit was in shambles and I was in debt, just coming off the heels of a serious operation without insurance. It took a big consistent effort but between then and now I managed to entirely rebuild my credit with six or seven major credit cards, making timely payments, bar none. But most recently, with 2012 being an extremely difficult year in this life, and extending considerable effort in trying to avoid it, I am now facing bankruptcy for a variety of reasons all of which seemed to have conspired to bring this situation about. The result has been quite depressing. At this point, I find myself searching in a constant state of dire cost saving mannerisms though at the same time not really sure if it all matters.

I hessitate to again make the same efforts. Something tells me I should simply accept this as a form of "clearing out" as long as I have in fact done all that I can do, and move on while integrating this into the life of an artist/writer. Yet still though feeling at a loss and not entirely comfortable with the outcome for the creditors. Even though I had paid them year-upon-year of accumulated twentish percent APR.

Recommendations?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Severe Credit Decline & Onset of Depression
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:35 am 

Why don't you post some specifics on your situation? It's hard to make any sort of recommendation without details.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 am 

Thanks Tightwad,

I'm basically being faced with a total credit rebuild at this point. But given the ambivalence of exprience...I'm even questioning the real importance of credit.

I beleive I could be faced with about a 10 year period of a long turnaround. I did the JCPenney credit card last time, was how I started to build credit. This time I think I could be looking at secured plastic. Currently I'm not working. Have a lot of things to get squared away. Whatever you might suggest might be great...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 am 

Bankruptcy has a lot more 'ins and outs' than when we filed way back in 1993. You need to know what you can do and can't do BEFORE filing. MSN Money had an excellent article earlier this year on this:

Filing for bankruptcy? 12 missteps
If you're looking to make a new start, be sure you do it the right way. These moves could cause trouble.
by Justin Harelik, Bankrate.com to MSN Money, 2/6/2012

Many people find themselves in financial turmoil and finally decide that enough is enough; it's time to file for bankruptcy. The goal is for a fresh start from the monthly burden of trying to pay bills when there is not enough income to do so.

Bankruptcy happens. When it happens to you, try to avoid the following 12 common mistakes:

Full article URL: http://money.msn.com/debt-management/filing-for-bankruptcy-12-missteps-bankrate.aspx?page=0

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 pm 

Thanks jaiko,

Leaving out creditors, that's my main concern.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 am 

Here are an article that might be beneficial....

http://creditranker.com/buildingrebuilding-credit/dealing-with-a-credit-crisis/

Hope this can help!

Offline Profile E-mail