Securities Litigation Claims

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

wachula5

Securities Litigation Claims

Postby wachula5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been meaning to ask someone what I should do with these securities litigation letters I keep getting in the mail. We have our money in index mutual funds--we didn't buy the stocks in question directly. I suppose I've always sensed any settlement money would not justify the work involved in filling out the claim, but what the heck do I know? Any advice as to how to know whether any of these class action suits are worth getting involved in?

Thanks,

Wachula5

Tightwad

Re: Securities Litigation Claims

Postby Tightwad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

They're usually not worth the effort to get involved in. Sounds more like a fishing expedition by the lawyers to get more plantiffs involved so they fight for a larger settlement.

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I agree with Tightwad. Usually you don't get much. I've filled out a few of these forms over the years mostly on principle just so the companies involved have to pay out more. I've never gotten much but I've received checks for $8-$20 on a half dozen occasions. I don't actually remember if any had to do with securities litigation though.

bpgui

Postby bpgui » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I stopped filling out those ( and all class action lawsuit forms) several years ago when the "settlement " I received from a lawsuit against either AT&T or Verizon wireless (can't remember who I was with at the time) was $10... Payable as a prepaid long distance card. Why would we need a prepaid long distance card when the cell plans in question included free long distance (all U.S.) calls?

The judge that approved that settlement should be removed from the bench.

I've only once regretted NOT taking the time. A lawsuit against the provider of my bar exam review course actually paid out about $200 each. I missed out on that one.

LeRainDrop

Postby LeRainDrop » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm

bpgui wrote:I've only once regretted NOT taking the time. A lawsuit against the provider of my bar exam review course actually paid out about $200 each. I missed out on that one.

Haha, I skipped that one, too! What a bummer.

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Getting sued for charging lawyers... go figure.

Return to “Personal Finance”