I'm confused......traditional or Roth

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

lorimarie

I'm confused......traditional or Roth

Postby lorimarie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello! I need more advice and I promise (or will try) not to bother you all again....well at least for a while! :) Seriously, I really appreciate your help.

Here it is. I am trusting that someone will help me with his/her wisdom and experience.

I am in a single female in my late 40s. Last year I opened a Roth IRA. I contribute on my own without an employer contribution. I gross 65K a year and have two teen-aged dependents. I am now wondering if I made the right decision of going with a Roth rather than a traditional IRA. I will be in a lower tax bracket after retirement and my 401K and savings is all that I will have to live on. My goal is not to touch this money until retirement at 65?, but if life throws me some lemons I may have to.

Do you think I should now go with a tradional IRA or a Roth or maybe a bit of both? I plan to put the maxium in each year.
Any thoughts or ideas for me? THANK YOU ALL! I really really appreciate your help!

nelson

Re: I'm confused......traditional or Roth

Postby nelson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 pm

You probably paid a little bit more in taxes than you needed to with the Roth (since your post-retirement tax bracket will be lower). But the good news is, with a Roth, you can withdraw your contributions before retirement (not gains, just what you put in) without penalty should you need it (as opposed to a traditional IRA where you would be penalized before the retirement age). So I think overall your decision was fine if you include the life throwing you lemons scenario.

Bichon Frise

Postby Bichon Frise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm curious what your marginal tax rate is.

Either way, even if I was in the 25%, I would probably do it. Especially with a 401k. Consider it a hedge against future tax rates....

In the end, it probably matters very little. Unless you absolutely need the cash today.
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

avocado wrote:Good to see you back, I was starting to miss your incisive commentary!

alohabear

Postby alohabear » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 am

[quote="nelson"]You probably paid a little bit more in taxes than you needed to with the Roth (since your post-retirement tax bracket will be lower).

Not to be a contrarian, but it's not guaranteed that a person's tax bracket will be lower post-retirement.

Return to “Personal Finance”