Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 am

Post subject: Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:01 pm 

MJkittycatsmom, even indexing is safer than CD's if you are taking the long view. CD's return almost nothing. Right now, they don't even beat inflation. Investing in CD's is barely better than burying your money. If you want safety and intend to be investing for long periods of time, why not invest in the utilities and consumer good sectors? They are the two safest of the ten market sectors I have studied and have the lowest maximum drawdowns (loss of value from where they peaked at). And while utilities tend to perform at around the market level for the long-term, consumer staples (also known as consumer goods) has a great track record for returns above the stock market over the long-term.

VinTek, for your information, I used to have money invested in the stock market. I had ~$30k in it at one point. But that was years ago. And no, I didn't lose it in the stock market. (It was spent) - So yes, I have invested before, just not recently.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm 

Matthew Clinger wrote:
VinTek, for your information, I used to have money invested in the stock market. I had ~$30k in it at one point. But that was years ago. And no, I didn't lose it in the stock market. (It was spent) - So yes, I have invested before, just not recently.

But that's partly my point. Your limited experience doesn't really qualify to you to tell other people what to do with their money, particularly since you spent your portfolio. Maybe it was for a good reason, like using it for your education. I'm not judging. What I'm saying is that reading a flight manual and doing well at a flight simulator doesn't make you a pilot. Your advice is suspect because you don't have any skin in the game. Nothing personal. Those are simply the circumstances.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 pm 

Matthew Clinger wrote:

Folks run. This looks a whole lot like.. do as I say, not do as I do.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2