How to save cash for next car

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

nogawred

How to save cash for next car

Postby nogawred » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:48 am

Settling the balance on my vehicle in a couple of months and I will save the 510$ payment.

I plan to buy my next vehicle in cash. No more interest payments for this family.

I plan to save the payments I was previously making until we are ready to purchase our next vehicle. Will not be any earlier than 4 years from savings start date.

Where is the smartest place to save/invest those payments? Low to moderate risk. CD's, savings account, money market, etc?

Thanks!

DoingHomework

Re: How to save cash for next car

Postby DoingHomework » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Money market account. A CD is safe enough but generally does not work when you are adding money every month. If you find one that allows that then it would be ok as well

stannius

Postby stannius » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

You could also do something like, save in a MMA for 6 months and then buy a CD. But another downside is that a CD plan depends on how well you know in advance the timing of buying the future car.

Also, nowadays you don't get a whole lot of extra interest from a CD.

I just saved mine in a money market account.

Mario

Postby Mario » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Both a money market account and a savings account would be liquid enough for your purposes. That said, Barclays' 1.0% money market account is the highest I've seen out there...
http://debtblag.com

Track my fiscal fitness with $0.5 million in debt: http://getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61052 Latest update: As of April 16, I've paid off $21,400 in credit card debt this year (after starting with $35k)

nelson

Postby nelson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 am

What I did was invest in a CD up front. Additional funds after that went to a money market account. When the CD matured, that went into the money market account. When I was ready to buy the car, I transferred funds from the MMA into Checking and wrote a check.

Return to “Personal Finance”