dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Do you think it's right or wrong to splurge?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am

Post subject: Re: Do you think it's right or wrong to splurge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 pm 

In my opinion unnecessary splurging is wrong. But once in a while you can reward yourself for maintaining a frugal lifestyle and saving money. After all, you may have a better financial situation compared to may of us here! There's nothing wrong in going out for a dinner with your friends and sharing a bottle of wine or buying any exotic products once in a while. You should just remember two things – don't make splurging your habit and always maintain an emergency fund, come what may.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 am 

TroyFissan wrote:
When it comes to splurging it's really about the vocabulary. A splurge makes it sound "wrong" even if it's just a purchase that's a bit beyond your means.

I'm not sure I quite agree with that definition. I would say a splurge is something that, if done regularly and/or applied to multiple categories, would lead to living beyond your means. But if a splurge in and of itself is beyond your means, that is a poor choice and the answer to the original question would be "yes, it is wrong (or at least a very bad idea)"; a strawman position I don't think anyone is advocating.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm 

Jerry wrote:
In my opinion unnecessary splurging is wrong. But once in a while you can reward yourself for maintaining a frugal lifestyle and saving money. After all, you may have a better financial situation compared to may of us here! There's nothing wrong in going out for a dinner with your friends and sharing a bottle of wine or buying any exotic products once in a while. You should just remember two things – don't make splurging your habit and always maintain an emergency fund, come what may.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this. How do you distinguish between "unnecessary" and "necessary" splurging? By definition, isn't all "splurging" unnecessary?"

The way I see it, I always try to spend my money based on what I value and the way I prioritize. For instance, I spend a LOT of money each month on my electric bill. Some could see that as splurging. I grew up in a house that was rarely at a comfortable temperature in any season, so while I know I could be more frugal and turn off the AC, it is important to me to be comfortable in my own house. Yes, I could be more frugal with my energy costs, but this is an area in which I prefer to "splurge."

I think there is nothing wrong with splurging as long as the individual is taking care of the necessities (to include savings and retirement) and the splurging is done in a deliberate, thought-out manner.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

alohabear wrote:
I think there is nothing wrong with splurging as long as the individual is taking care of the necessities (to include savings and retirement) and the splurging is done in a deliberate, thought-out manner.

I like this response. The key is that you first put yourself in a secure position by taking care of the necessities/savings/retirement, and then a mindful splurge here and there can follow.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 pm 

I'm going to say that yes, it's good to splurge as long as it's within reason and affordability. If you never splurge, you might end up in a therapist's office after having a panic attack trying to buy a shirt just because you wanted something nice.

Not that I'd know anything about that, of course.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm 

Spending a little extra on something special is just fine with me as long as I know that the bills are paid first. My yearly splurge is buying sandals for the summertime.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2