dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Assassinate your Mortgage Loan *here*

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 am

Post subject: Assassinate your Mortgage Loan *here*
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 am 

I have enjoyed reading the Student Loan thread on here, but never participated because my minimal student loans were paid off years ago. Every time I saw the thread, I thought it would be could to have a similar thread for those wanting to assassinate their mortgages. Finally decided to create the thread.

I refinanced my home in July 2003 with a 4.75% fixed rate mortgage. I have paid additional principal every month since the origination, and recently decided to partially rely on our Roth IRAs for our emergency fund. Reducing our savings account to 3 months of expenses allowed us to make a $15,000 additional principal payment. Making that payment felt really good!

Our mortgage is now down to $22,642.90. If we continue with our typical monthly additional principal payments, the mortgage will be paid off by November 2014. I am determined to do even better.

I think it would be motivating to have others with the same "pay off the mortgage" goal sharing their progress. Hope this thread gets similar participation as the student loan thread.

Dave

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Assassinate your Mortgage Loan *here*
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 pm 

I just submitted an additional principal payment of $642.90 to bring the balance down to $22,000. After my regular monthly payment clears each month, I am going to make an attempt to bring the balance down to the nearest $1,000.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:34 am 

It's a good feeling when you get the principal balance down to a reachable threshold. Last year I paid off the mortgage on my primary residence after putting in every extra dime I could ... what a relief. Now I just have 90K remaining on an investment property (which I just refinanced) although I won't be making a dent in that anytime soon.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 am 

My thread got bumped. :shock:

Despite believing I can get a better return in the stock market, one day I just decided that I want to get the mortgage paid off sooner rather than later. I added $500 on top of our normal ($200) additional principal payment this month.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm 

I will make no statement on whether I agree with http://homes.yahoo.com/news/why-paying-off-your-mortgage-early-is-actually-dumb-174007929.html or not, but it's certainly food for thought.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 am 

VinTek wrote:
I will make no statement on whether I agree with http://homes.yahoo.com/news/why-paying-off-your-mortgage-early-is-actually-dumb-174007929.html or not, but it's certainly food for thought.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely some valid points in the article.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 am 

DaveInPgh wrote:
VinTek wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Definitely some valid points in the article.

I was going to add more to this post but my boss was heading my way. Like many things in marriage, decisions on our personal finances has always involved compromise. My father inlaw believed in paying off the house asap and did not invest in the stock market at all.

When we took out the mortgage, we were contributing to our 401k at or slightly above the company match. I believe the only additional principal we did was about $30/month to round up to the nearest $100.

As our income grew, we agreed to contibute more to our 401ks AND increase the additional principal. I recall it being a challenge to convince my wife to increase the 401k contribution to 10%. We gradually grew the 401k contribution to 20% and the additional principal to just over $200.

As my mortgage balance got closer and closer to my EF balance, I started to get motivated to pay it off. Once it is paid off, the likely goal will be to max out both of our 401ks and Roth's every year.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am 

You can do a quick sanity check this way:

For every extra dollar you put into your 401(k), how much growth did you get? For every extra dollar you paid off in principal, how much interest savings did you get? Don't forget to reduce that amount by the sum of the tax savings you didn't get as a result.

Now which number is higher? Did you get more money by investing more in your 401(k)? Or did you save more money (net) by paying off more of your principal? I have no idea what your results will be, but it's an interesting exercise and might tell you some things you hadn't considered.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am 

VinTek wrote:
You can do a quick sanity check this way:

For every extra dollar you put into your 401(k), how much growth did you get? For every extra dollar you paid off in principal, how much interest savings did you get? Don't forget to reduce that amount by the sum of the tax savings you didn't get as a result.

Now which number is higher? Did you get more money by investing more in your 401(k)? Or did you save more money (net) by paying off more of your principal? I have no idea what your results will be, but it's an interesting exercise and might tell you some things you hadn't considered.

Have you heard of the term "results oriented thinking?"

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

stannius wrote:

Yes, but this isn't poker. If we went with a pure mathematical strategy, the strategy would be obvious. However, we're dealing with human behavior, which (despite what a lot of economists believe) isn't purely rational. Remember, Dave has already had a hard time talking his wife into upping the 401(k) investment. A little hard evidence in the form of actual results helps.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm 

VinTek wrote:
stannius wrote:

Yes, but this isn't poker. If we went with a pure mathematical strategy, the strategy would be obvious. However, we're dealing with human behavior, which (despite what a lot of economists believe) isn't purely rational. Remember, Dave has already had a hard time talking his wife into upping the 401(k) investment. A little hard evidence in the form of actual results helps.

Probably an exercise I should have considered early in the mortgage. Now we are so close to having it paid off, I just want to be done with it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 am 

DaveInPgh wrote:
I just submitted an additional principal payment of $642.90 to bring the balance down to $22,000. After my regular monthly payment clears each month, I am going to make an attempt to bring the balance down to the nearest $1,000.

After making my mid-month payment last week, I followed up with approximately another $350 additional principal to bring it down to an even $20,000.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 am 

I haven't been able to make additional principal payments the past couple months other than the typical $200 added to every payment. My July payment just cleared and the mortgage is now under $17,500. I am on pace to have it down to a little over $10,00 at the end of the year.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 am 

Dave: love the idea of this thread, and I am jealous of your numbers!

We have about $55,900 left on the mortgage. At a rate of 2.55%, we're paying less than $200/month interest. Throwing about $3k/month total on this. Hoping to have it paid off by the end of 2014.

Lets race!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am 

Hi Samantha. Thanks for joining my thread. I apologize for not responding sooner. Been in a bit of a funk lately. I recently made an additional principal payment to bring our balance down to an even $17,000. I am making our August payment on Monday, which will bring the balance under $15,900.

Due to an upcoming vacation, we probably won't be able to make any additional principal payments (other than the regular $200 each month) until September.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next