dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Get rid of my lease?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Post subject: Get rid of my lease?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm 

I know what you're thinking... this guy has got some nerve asking a question he probably already knows the answer to, but I thought I'd come on and get your $0.02 (2 cents) any way.

I'm 29, married, have no debt other than what I am taking on currently in grad school and will owe around $40k when all is said and done.

My wife and I have 2+ years of emergency fund/future down payment, max out the match on our 401(k)'s and both have a Roth IRA we also max each year. We save on average 30% of our net income each month and live below our means, but the one thing I love is getting out for a drive. I enjoy driving my new Beemer along the country roads of Virginia and quite honestly am excited each time I enter the vehicle.

Last year, we tried to make the "smart move" and purchase a Camry which was fine for the first couple of months, but it became more A to B versus the enjoyment I had prior to the Camry (another Beemer) and now.

So do you think I should get rid of the BMW?

Part of me doesn't want to, but part of me does. We could save $1,000 per month if you add up fuel costs, car insurance, payment, & amortize the property tax over 12 months.

We live in DC and I could utilize the metro train to/from work, but it would add an additional 30 minutes to my commute and would involve walking 3/4 mile to the metro stop, yuck 8)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions!

- App

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of my lease?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 am 

What are you saving for?
If you like the car, and can afford it keep it. Why save all your money and live a miserable existence?

I don't really understand what an extra 1000/month is going to do. Help you IMAGINE driving the country roads of VA?

I'm all about enjoying life, so you have to decide what you would prefer-getting out there on the road, or counting your pennies in the bank. Your call..

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of my lease?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:49 am 

The one thing we are saving for "per se", is a down payment on a house. We'd like to put down at least 20%, but with rates and how lenient banks & CU's (Navy Federal has 100% financing, no PMI, 30 year fixed at a 3.5% rate with 0 points or origination) are right now, it may make sense to finance at a low rate and use our money elsewhere.

$1,000 extra per month won't really do much except earn .55% APY. I am all about enjoying life too and feel that if I am within my means in most other aspects except this one, then it's fine.

Thanks!

- App

Offline Profile E-mail