Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am

Post subject: Budgeted Electric Bills
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:18 pm 

Hello GRS readers,

I have recently bought a house and am now seeing the "joys" of paying utility bills that are significantly higher than renting small apartments, from 80 a month to around 200 a month. Has anyone used this approach to utility bills and what is the experience they have received taking this approach?

Best Regards,
Chris

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:17 pm 

What approach?

I use equal pay and it has been great for budgeting. I did get annoyed in the past when my gas company would just increase the amount the same month it was due. What is the purpose of equal pay if the next months bill is a surprise?
My electric bill will say "your 6 month review will put your next months bill at $XX". Gas would just send the bill that had gone up $30, no warning.

Damn kids. :lol:

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:36 pm 

Since we bought our house, we've just paid the utility bills as they came, without giving much thought to the "equal payment" plans. My logic was that paying for what we used, when we used it, would help motivate us to conserve water, natural gas, and electricity.

Of course, it did that, and we've done pretty much everything we can to cut down on our usage (low-flow showerheads, compact fluorescent light bulbs everywhere, a highly efficient furnace etc) and now I'm thinking that the equal payment plans would be a good idea.

If anything it'd make budgeting easier from month to month. As I'm in Canada, the natural gas and electricity bills tend to get MUCH higher in the winter - the furnace obviously has to run a lot more, and the lights are on earlier.

I look forward to what other people think on the issue - is it worthwhile to have the "equal" payments (even though the payment might change from year to year)?

Offline Profile