Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 am

Post subject: Spinning Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 am 

Hi, long time reader first time commenter here.

JD's post on Downshifting (http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2010/ ... f-my-life/) really spoke to me (more so than the usual excellent posts). I find myself in a predicament currently that I was hoping this great community could help me with.

I work virtually as a web developer at a very non-demanding company. I am VERY time-rich right now, but do not use my free time effectively at all (lots of reading news, twitter, facebook, helping relatives w/ tech issues). I've also found that since working for this company my productivity in life is just horrid. I fear losing this job (which is not going to go anywhere long term) because I would not fair well in the current work environment.

My fiance and I are in the process of saving aggresively this next year for our wedding which we have to fund ourselves. I find myself wanting to keep this job as long as I can especially so I can save as much as possible. Aka, I don't want to rock the boat.

I know I should be looking for a new position, but it pays my bills and I'll be able to save a lot if I hold on. I am a bit stuck.

Sadly, I have to help manage an outsourced team which I believe will take over my responsibilities at some point. It's only a 4 person company and the transparency in it is just awful. I essentially have no say or responsibility.

What does the GRS community think I could do? The software we are writing is just awful and I'm not proud of the work we're producing. Our practices are so poor that I'm not going to bring much to the table at another company except years of experience and intimate knowledge of the web.

I'm 29 years old and need to make a change, but since I work virtually it's very hard. It leaves me feeling disconnected and out of touch. I'd really like to make the most of my free-time.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

what's keeping you from at least looking at opportunities? you won't find something if you don't look!

i just left a job that was going nowhere- it's hard work finding something new in this market, but it's time well spent if you are dissatisfied with your job.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Wheels
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:17 pm 

galactic wrote:
what's keeping you from at least looking at opportunities? you won't find something if you don't look!

i just left a job that was going nowhere- it's hard work finding something new in this market, but it's time well spent if you are dissatisfied with your job.

I agree. You need to start looking. Also realize that the easiest time to get a new job is when you already have a job..

I also notice a big red flag in your message. You are going to be saving for a wedding? If you are worried about income, why on earth would you spend a lot of money on a wedding???

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill