dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Money dont buy happines... rant

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Post subject: Money dont buy happines... rant
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:11 am 

Well.. just finnished a exam, so I have to rant a bit.

For the past 3.5 years Ive been gooing to University doing social economics, something I found out 3 years into that I want to change to Business. Now, I might not be able to apply to it because my High School Scores are to low, so I`ll have to take a year to upgrade those..

Then I would have to do atleast 3 more years at school. 4 years total.. and at age 28 I would be 32 when Im finished. More so If I want to do a masters. And who would hire my at 35.. no prior work experience in business.

I shouldnt be so misserable.. (im not THAT misserable) I have well paying job, saving $50.000 each year ( living in Western Europe ), but, the jobs not what I want to do my entire life, and it feels like Im never finnishing school. Hard enough to know Im 6-7 years older then most of my class mates now.. it would be 8-9 if I get accepted into the new course. Its not like Im 20 again and would be interested in dating any of them..

Im at a bit of a loss.. probably ending up staying with my job...never ending university..

Im having a existencial crises!

edit: My topic was supposed to mean I earn alot, but its not a work I love, so money isnt everything. You got to do someting you love...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Money dont buy happines... rant
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 am 

You don't have to have a business degree to work in business. Might be different where you live but not here in the USA. I would graduate and still try to get a job in the field that I like while going to school.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:17 am 

Depending on the job you do now there may be a possibility to get some business experience out of it. I use to work for a testing center as a proctor. I was promoted to manager within 2 years (while going to school early morning/ late at night) due to high turnover. The manager was given a basic 'budget' for ordering supplies and keeping the computer equipment in working condition. I've done plenty of business since then in the form of sales and ordering for the clients of IT firms that I have done work for.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:15 am 

I went back to school and got my MBA at 40!!!! It doesn't matter how old you are - in my group of fellow MBRers I was one of 11 people that were on the same track and took all of our classes together. There were 3 older than me and 7 younger than me.

My job is great for me and I truly love it. I would suggest trying to find something that you like to do first, even if it means less money and then going back to school. This way you can be sure of what you want to do and not spend time in school without being sure that you are on the right track.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 am 

Indeed, money is not everything. I had to quite my high flying top exec job to do what I love, which pays pennies compared to what I used to earn. I am enjoying life and am at peace and these are things money cannot buy.

Education is a means and not an end in itself and we are all learning. You are never too old to continue with formal education.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 pm 

I second the motion! Money do not makes the world go round. You must choose the right thing which you think will make you happy, and stick to it :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 pm 

True, money can't give you the happiness. But for some people it is just so hard to find a job they really love and they get paid from it. Many people today try to love their job to earn money. Lucky if you can get the job you really love and paid well for it ;)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 pm 

Money may not buy happiness....but poverty is not a path to happiness either...
Poverty has more things to make you unhappy though.....si I'd pick money over poverty..unfortunately I'm impoverished..shrug.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 am 

northman wrote:

edit: My topic was supposed to mean I earn alot, but its not a work I love, so money isnt everything. You got to do someting you love...

You already know the answer.
Stop worrying about what everyone else will think. You will only feel worse tens years down the line when you realise you've wasted even more time being a slave to an illusion in your mind. And no one ever got rich by following the crowd.

Good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 am 

I live by the philosophy that 'life is what you make it'. This to me means that everything in life that you do is a choice. So if you are really unhappy with your job then change it :) the majority of the time you will work so why not take the risk and see if you can find something that will make you happy - a choice that you can only make :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:02 am 

you are right Mr.northman

money can give all of our needs...but it can't give the perfect happiness in life.. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 am 

Totally agree with @philipsteele; we can buy everything with money whatever we need but one thing in the world we can't buy is happiness,

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 pm 

As for the respondents' aspirations for the world, they focused, once again, on how to help the youth in the world live healthy, meaningful and impact lives. Their answers were consistently youth-focused: They were concerned about being good parents, they were concerned about their children and they were concerned about the children of the world in general.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am 

prioritytaxgroup wrote:
As for the respondents' aspirations for the world, they focused, once again, on how to help the youth in the world live healthy, meaningful and impact lives. Their answers were consistently youth-focused: They were concerned about being good parents, they were concerned about their children and they were concerned about the children of the world in general.

I almost never even understand your posts let alone how they're related to the topic. Especially 3 years after the matter... Is there a connection here that I'm missing? Or are you just copy-pasting things out of some random financial quote generator?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:29 am 

bdg wrote:
prioritytaxgroup wrote:

I almost never even understand your posts let alone how they're related to the topic. Especially 3 years after the matter... Is there a connection here that I'm missing? Or are you just copy-pasting things out of some random financial quote generator?

I am just guessing. But, I wouldn't be surprised if prioritytaxgroup and johnt78 are the same person. I would almost bet that if a admin/mod researched their IP addresses, they'd be the same.....Capt. Obvious and his counterpart Capt. Oblivious.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next