How happy are you?

There's more to wealth than money. Health and happiness are important, too.
This is the place to discuss organization, self-improvement, and success strategies.

Moderator: lvergon

On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you? (10 = couldn't be happier)

No votes
10%
48%
34%
3%
3%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 29

squished18

How happy are you?

Postby squished18 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:00 am

A very unscientific, impromptu poll...

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 am

I'm at a pretty happy stage in my life right now, actually. If you had asked this eighteen months or a year ago, my answer would have been toward the bottom of the scale. I felt like my life was meaningless. I was spending all my time playing World of Warcraft, and didn't see what the future had in store for me. I'm working harder now than I ever have before, but I don't mind: GRS gives me purpose and direction, and keeps me focused. It's great!

onebigmortarboard

Postby onebigmortarboard » Wed May 02, 2007 7:39 am

As I've said before:

I am not a happy person.

But I am a joyful girl.

I tend to feel better and more fulfilled if I concentrate on noticing the individual moments that bring me pleasure, rather than trying to achieve some steady-state of contentment, which is what the "pursuit of happiness" has invariably suggested to me.

tinyhands

Postby tinyhands » Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 am

I gave myself an 8, though it would have been a lot lower a few years ago when I was married. :)

I still have moments of saddening, maddening despair but I return to a peaceful calm a lot faster than I have ever done in my life. I'm getting mellow & easier to please in my old (35) age. ;)
Read my 'fiscal fitness' financial disclosures <a href="http://www.getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176">here</a>.

Jethro
Site Admin

Postby Jethro » Wed May 02, 2007 10:08 am

I also gave myself an 8. During the dreary Oregon winter I probably would have rated it much lower, but now that things have warmed and dried out a bit, I can rate it higher.

It's kind of strange... my wife and I make ~20% less combined than we did 10 years ago, yet we would both say that we are happier now. I would attribute this to: my wife working less; lower debt load; having children; realizing what is important in life.
If life gives you tomatoes, make pico de gallo.

kick_push

Postby kick_push » Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am

i can't complain about anything right now.. so i'm at about a 7

but there are so many things i want out of life.. much more to accomplish before i can get to a 10 =)

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am

My wife and I make ~20% less combined than we did 10 years ago, yet we would both say that we are happier now...

Maybe the box factory should give you a pay cut. It could make you even happier! :)

canadiandream

Postby canadiandream » Thu May 03, 2007 11:35 am

I gave myself a 9. Why? I go home each day and play with a happy two year old. I remember that everything at work is just work and happiness is everywhere if you want to find it.

CD
On the way to early retirement at 45.
http://blog.canadian-dream-free-at-45.com

RJ

Postby RJ » Thu May 03, 2007 6:20 pm

I gave myself an 8. My partner and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary, but we're in a long-distance relationship. The long-distance thing kind of stinks, but we plan on fixing that in the next couple of years. Sometimes I'm brought down by the committee work I have to do and the lazy/resistant students I have in class, but overall I really like my job. Other than that, I usually have time and money to do stuff I want to do, though I live fairly modestly. All in all, my happiness level is a B (an "eight")....
Last edited by RJ on Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnashchick

Postby Gnashchick » Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am

8 here too. I'm much happier than I used to be. Other than a few unimportant irritations, I'm reasonably happy. My #1 problem right now is "not enough time." I have a final on Monday that I haven't studied much for, an empty refrigerator, a filthy house, and dogs that don't know who I am. All this will get better after finals. Time is happiness, and I don't have enough of it.
Steal what works, fix what's broke, fake the rest

dpillai

Postby dpillai » Sun May 06, 2007 8:08 am

7 for me. Got a great marriage, health is good (unless I break my bones trying to learn olmypic lifts :lol: ) and a decent job. I would have gone much higher but for the worries that seem to bog me down constantly. Turning 30 scared the living daylights out of me :lol: Realized I really need to get my finances in order. So in a mad hurry to get retirment started, emergency fund replinished, start saving for a downpayment and there is the talk about "when are we having kids?" :shock:

Siobhan

Postby Siobhan » Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 am

I voted 9. I have a funny, wonderful husband, a happy and engaging marriage, a lovely house, and a great handle on our finances. What would it take to get me to a 10? Either an end to the stresses of grad school (not gonna happen for at least two years!) or the kid we're working toward..

Return to “Personal Development”