Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:44 am

On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you? (10 = couldn't be happier)
10 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
8 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
7 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
6 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
5 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: How happy are you?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:00 am 

A very unscientific, impromptu poll...

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 am 
Site Admin

I'm at a pretty happy stage in my life right now, actually. If you had asked this eighteen months or a year ago, my answer would have been toward the bottom of the scale. I felt like my life was meaningless. I was spending all my time playing World of Warcraft, and didn't see what the future had in store for me. I'm working harder now than I ever have before, but I don't mind: GRS gives me purpose and direction, and keeps me focused. It's great!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:39 am 

As I've said before:

I am not a happy person.

But I am a joyful girl.

I tend to feel better and more fulfilled if I concentrate on noticing the individual moments that bring me pleasure, rather than trying to achieve some steady-state of contentment, which is what the "pursuit of happiness" has invariably suggested to me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 am 

I gave myself an 8, though it would have been a lot lower a few years ago when I was married. :)

I still have moments of saddening, maddening despair but I return to a peaceful calm a lot faster than I have ever done in my life. I'm getting mellow & easier to please in my old (35) age. ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin

I also gave myself an 8. During the dreary Oregon winter I probably would have rated it much lower, but now that things have warmed and dried out a bit, I can rate it higher.

It's kind of strange... my wife and I make ~20% less combined than we did 10 years ago, yet we would both say that we are happier now. I would attribute this to: my wife working less; lower debt load; having children; realizing what is important in life.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am 

i can't complain about anything right now.. so i'm at about a 7

but there are so many things i want out of life.. much more to accomplish before i can get to a 10 =)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
My wife and I make ~20% less combined than we did 10 years ago, yet we would both say that we are happier now...

Maybe the box factory should give you a pay cut. It could make you even happier! :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:35 am 

I gave myself a 9. Why? I go home each day and play with a happy two year old. I remember that everything at work is just work and happiness is everywhere if you want to find it.

CD

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:20 pm 

I gave myself an 8. My partner and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary, but we're in a long-distance relationship. The long-distance thing kind of stinks, but we plan on fixing that in the next couple of years. Sometimes I'm brought down by the committee work I have to do and the lazy/resistant students I have in class, but overall I really like my job. Other than that, I usually have time and money to do stuff I want to do, though I live fairly modestly. All in all, my happiness level is a B (an "eight")....

Last edited by RJ on Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am 

8 here too. I'm much happier than I used to be. Other than a few unimportant irritations, I'm reasonably happy. My #1 problem right now is "not enough time." I have a final on Monday that I haven't studied much for, an empty refrigerator, a filthy house, and dogs that don't know who I am. All this will get better after finals. Time is happiness, and I don't have enough of it.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:08 am 

7 for me. Got a great marriage, health is good (unless I break my bones trying to learn olmypic lifts :lol: ) and a decent job. I would have gone much higher but for the worries that seem to bog me down constantly. Turning 30 scared the living daylights out of me :lol: Realized I really need to get my finances in order. So in a mad hurry to get retirment started, emergency fund replinished, start saving for a downpayment and there is the talk about "when are we having kids?" :shock:

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 am 

I voted 9. I have a funny, wonderful husband, a happy and engaging marriage, a lovely house, and a great handle on our finances. What would it take to get me to a 10? Either an end to the stresses of grad school (not gonna happen for at least two years!) or the kid we're working toward..

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill