Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 am

Post subject: Any HR People In the House?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 am 

I've been asked back for a second interview with a company I really want to work for. This time, I'll be meeting with my the "boss of the boss," a VP at the organization. I am extremely nervous/excited and don't know what to expect. Any ideas on how to prepare, how these interviews typically differ from the ones with direct managers, etc?

Also, regarding CBCs, I know it's up to the discretion of HR/management should there be any "hits," but would a major irresponsible traffic violation (with no history of repetitive infractions or any other blemishes) be enough to nullify any job offering, provided that the position wouldn't require me to drive, use the company vehicle, etc, and that I am up front about it should the question arise on any forms I'd be required to fill out?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Any HR People In the House?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:53 am 

Bluebell wrote:
I've been asked back for a second interview with a company I really want to work for. This time, I'll be meeting with my the "boss of the boss," a VP at the organization. I am extremely nervous/excited and don't know what to expect. Any ideas on how to prepare, how these interviews typically differ from the ones with direct managers, etc?

Also, regarding CBCs, I know it's up to the discretion of HR/management should there be any "hits," but would a major irresponsible traffic violation (with no history of repetitive infractions or any other blemishes) be enough to nullify any job offering, provided that the position wouldn't require me to drive, use the company vehicle, etc, and that I am up front about it should the question arise on any forms I'd be required to fill out?

just act normal, they put on pants one leg at a time just like everyone else does.

major irresponsible traffic violation? do you mean DUI? by CBC, if you mean security clearance, it would depend on how long ago, pattern of behavior, corrected behavior, etc. if normal company background check, then it would depend on the career field like if you were applying to be a driver or something.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm 

Ha! I know...my brain tells me chill out, but the rest of me is anxious, excited, and nervous. It would be a big, positive move for my career.

And there is no security clearance required, it's just a normal national background check. There is definitely not a history/pattern of the infraction. It happened over a year ago which, as far as I'm concerned, is humiliating and a recent embarrassment/blemish that I still beat myself up about, but it is something I have owned up to, taken responsibility for, and learned from. From what I understand, companies are typically looking for patterns of behavior, violent/sex offenders, fraud, etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:31 pm 

Bluebell wrote:
Ha! I know...my brain tells me chill out, but the rest of me is anxious, excited, and nervous. It would be a big, positive move for my career.

And there is no security clearance required, it's just a normal national background check. There is definitely not a history/pattern of the infraction. It happened over a year ago which, as far as I'm concerned, is humiliating and a recent embarrassment/blemish that I still beat myself up about, but it is something I have owned up to, taken responsibility for, and learned from. From what I understand, companies are typically looking for patterns of behavior, violent/sex offenders, fraud, etc.

well, you haven't said what the infraction was. moreover, it does depend on if it was a misdemeanor, felony, etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: How did your interview go?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm 

Hi -- I was going to respond to your posting, but I see that you have very likely had your second interview by now -- how did it go? Were you impressed with the interviewers and -- the big question -- did you get a job offer?? 'Hope all went well.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 pm 

I work as a recruiter, so not necessarily HR, but staffing for other organizations.

When we run a background check, depending on the client, it is just looking for felonies and misdemeanors in the various states that you have lived in.

Re: the interview... if they want to interview you, they think you can do the job. Give yourself a big boost of confidence with that information, and go win the job. Confidence speaks volumes.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:08 am 

The incident was a misdemeanor.

I felt very at ease with the first interviewer. We really had a good rapport. I was just wondering if the 2nd interviewer (a higher-up) usually asks different sorts questions, grills the candidate harder, etc? The first interview focused mostly on behavioral aspects (though the interviewer indicated that my "hard" skills were self-explanatory) so perhaps the 2nd would be more in-depth skills-wise?

The interview is not scheduled, as the date emailed to me I already had work appointments. I hope it's okay that I emailed back saying those wouldn't work for me! I gave two other possible dates and said I would try to be as flexible as I can if the interviewer would prefer an earlier date.

Also as far as the CBC, my concern is not so much that I won't get the job - I'm okay with it if that happens (though I would be disappointed if that did prevent me from getting it, but I'd see it as just another consequence and chalk it up to a tough lesson learned). I am concerned that they would set a start date contingent upon the CBC, I would give my notice to my current company, and then somehow they would decide not to hire me after all.

Also, for privacy concerns, I'm obviously dodging the charge in the traffic incident, but I'm guessing most can deduce what it was.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:56 am 

Bluebell wrote:
The incident was a misdemeanor.

I felt very at ease with the first interviewer. We really had a good rapport. I was just wondering if the 2nd interviewer (a higher-up) usually asks different sorts questions, grills the candidate harder, etc? The first interview focused mostly on behavioral aspects (though the interviewer indicated that my "hard" skills were self-explanatory) so perhaps the 2nd would be more in-depth skills-wise?

The interview is not scheduled, as the date emailed to me I already had work appointments. I hope it's okay that I emailed back saying those wouldn't work for me! I gave two other possible dates and said I would try to be as flexible as I can if the interviewer would prefer an earlier date.

Also as far as the CBC, my concern is not so much that I won't get the job - I'm okay with it if that happens (though I would be disappointed if that did prevent me from getting it, but I'd see it as just another consequence and chalk it up to a tough lesson learned). I am concerned that they would set a start date contingent upon the CBC, I would give my notice to my current company, and then somehow they would decide not to hire me after all.

Also, for privacy concerns, I'm obviously dodging the charge in the traffic incident, but I'm guessing most can deduce what it was.

not sure how privacy concern is an issue, since a misdemeanor is public knowledge anyways (some aren't reportable), and if you are concealing it on an anonymous forum, I question whether you have square with the infraction. If you truly learned from the lesson, then it's nothing to hide from, especially since it will obviously come up in a CBC anyways. You don't necessarily have to volunteer info (unless you are trying to get a security clearance), but you shouldn't be surprised if it does ever come up, and you should be prepared to answer question(s) on it openly. It's your prerogative to post on here, but it is rather absurd IMHO to conceal it based on privacy concerns.

many businesses will not start an employee until after a CBC, security clearance issuance, or drug test, etc, so you shouldn't be surprised if you cannot start until after your CBC. You should have informed them when you would be available. If they have a contingency like CBC, then you can always state that your availability is 2weeks (or however long your current employer would like) from the employment offer signing after CBC in order to give your current employer notice. Again, I doubt, depending on the employer and the field of employment, your misdemeanor offense would have any real bearing on your employment. The key isn't to hide from it as you are hiding from it on here, but to be upfront about it if it comes up and be mature about your response to it. Employers know that everyone isn't perfect, even if you are getting a job that requires a security clearance, they concern more about your rehabilitation, pattern of behavior, and your trustworthiness and dependability, which both go back to your lesson learned, if you are going to continue a pattern of behavior that will take you away from the job or prevent you from doing your job b/c you can't get to work. With that said, you are probably thinking this is more aggravating to your situation than it really is.

If you are seriously concerned about your "criminal" past, then consult an attorney to get advise on what can be brought up or not as part of your employment search.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:15 am 

Quote:
not sure how privacy concern is an issue, since a misdemeanor is public knowledge anyways (some aren't reportable), and if you are concealing it on an anonymous forum, I question whether you have square with the infraction. If you truly learned from the lesson, then it's nothing to hide from, especially since it will obviously come up in a CBC anyways. You don't necessarily have to volunteer info (unless you are trying to get a security clearance), but you shouldn't be surprised if it does ever come up, and you should be prepared to answer question(s) on it openly. It's your prerogative to post on here, but it is rather absurd IMHO to conceal it based on privacy concerns.

I'm square with it, believe me. The process I had to go through to get everything squared away was a real eye-opener and learning experience (though still angry at myself for always having to learn the hard way!) and I have no outstanding fees, fines, warrants, rehabilitation, or anything at all left to do related to the matter. Consider it Dave Ramsey's idiot tax and consider myself grateful that the matter was no worse than it actually was. I have no intent on "hiding" it on any official HR forms (i.e., authorization to conduct CBC, official employment application, etc.,) but until then, I certainly do plan on not divulging the information on a public forum! And like I said, no, I won't be surprised if it comes up as I absolutely expect it to, I know how to address it, etc., so I guess I could always say, "I will need to give two weeks notice contingent upon the CBC and official notification of intent to hire," or something to the effect.

And yes, I am probably making it worse in my head than it actually is. In fact, HR may not care about such things (like I said, no pattern) and not even inform the hiring department of it if it's not something that would require them to not hire me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:54 am 

What does CBC stand for anyway? I've never encountered that term before.

As for what the "higher up" interview is going to be like, that's anyone's guess -- it depends entirely on the personality of the interviewer.

I had one job where I had to go in for a full 8-hour day of interviews, from people who would be my co-workers to department heads and more senior officials, and everyone pretty much asked me the same kinds of questions. I had another job where I spent 6 hours in interviews with a variety of people, and then 2 weeks later had my final interview with a senior vice president, over the phone; that interview lasted about 3 minutes after which the VP told me I got the job. So I don't think there's any standard expectation of what an interview with a senior VP or president is likely to be like. In many cases, they just want to meet you and get their gut reaction; they've already read or heard the recommendations of their staff.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:37 am 

brad wrote:
What does CBC stand for anyway?

Credit Bureau Check?

....o
^/v
/>

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:11 pm 

criminal background check. 8)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:27 am 

Bluebell wrote:
criminal background check. 8)

OK, that makes more sense :)

....o
^/v
/>

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:18 am 

brad wrote:
What does CBC stand for anyway?

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 am 

I wish ya the best on your 2nd interview...When is it?

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next