Turns out I'm a big fat liar!

There's more to wealth than money. Health and happiness are important, too.
This is the place to discuss organization, self-improvement, and success strategies.

Moderator: lvergon

Andris

Postby Andris » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:19 am

I think, it is not happiness you feel. It is sense of power, of security. Not happiness, but quite nice to have.

It is same as with the people who are masters of some martial art. They don't need to fight (or spend money) but they know that they can kick anyone's behinds (or buy most enything they desire) and don't do that only because they are such a nice guys (aware of their real needs).

In a word - congratulations!

Scenario Thinker

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:11 pm

kombat wrote:Money definitely does buy happiness. Ever notice it's only ever poor people who spout that tired old saying, "money can't buy happiness?"

Actually, I've read in several books about people with wealth, and they readily admit money doesn't buy happiness.

kombat wrote:Money = freedom. Debt/poverty = slavery.

Now, this is probably more the reality, and the wealthy people do say this, at least economic freedom. The only flip side of this is having to protect your wealth (and your person), which is sort of a slavery.
S.Thinker

....o
^/v
/>

Scenario Thinker

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Andris wrote:It is same as with the people who are masters of some martial art. They don't need to fight (or spend money) but they know that they can kick anyone's behinds (or buy most enything they desire) and don't do that only because they are such a nice guys (aware of their real needs).

Good analogy. I was into karate some years back and although not a master, I was confident I could at least defend myself in a situation (although I wouldn't go walking down dark alleys looking for test cases :) ). But you do feel a sense of power whether it was partly over confidence or not, I don't know. Probably the same with lots of wealth, but at least it's a good feeling, even if it isn't a "happy" feeling.
S.Thinker

....o
^/v
/>

Return to “Personal Development”