Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 am

Post subject: Accountability Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 am 

What is your accountability strategy? Is it this forum, a friend or seeing your numbers in the red/black. From the time that you made the decision to be debt free/get rich slowly, what changes have you made that are good for you financially? What do you need/want to improve on?

My debts are from emotional spending, the nice person syndrome, lack of discipline. I want to improve on my savings, investing and of course debt repayment.

I stopped browsing for clothes everyday online. I stopped going to the mall or any shopping plaza every week. I make a list of what I am going to buy before I go to the supermarket or for clothes. Sucked it up and dealt with the cards I have to play with. Allow myself to enjoy what I have instead of looking at the next best thing. Took responsibility for my actions.

I need to improve on paying myself first and leaving it alone. :x Stop creating things to do/spend if I see some cash in my checking account and payday is near. Allot myself a certain budget for eating out. Stop selling myself and my abilities short. Maintain positivity at all times.
:geek:

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Accountability Strategy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:58 am 

Hi fantasma,

I'd have to say that a key motivator for me has been understanding the true value of my money and cost of my spending.

Try this when you have a chance: Get on the investing calculator at daveramsey.com and plug in a small amount - say $5 - as the initial investment. Entering no additional investments, run the numbers out to age 70 using a modest interest rate of 6%. This represents the true value of the money you're spending today. You'll be amazed.

Also, the book Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend has been very helpful in learning to set boundaries with others - and with myself.

Robert Pitts
Freedom Personal Finance
http://www.freedompersonalfinance.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Accountability Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:44 pm 

For me one of the was I stay accountable is by thinking about the difference between short term gratification and my long term goals. Is this something I need or want? If it is a want - is it going to get in the way of a bigger goal I have?

Also, I have been on a couple of Internet forums and have discovered that I need the accountability that it gives me to post regulairly and get advice about staying the course.

Robert - I really enjoyed Boundaries as well :)

Just wondering - is there a spell check on here? :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill