dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Best Financial Books of All Time!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Financial Books of All Time!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:01 pm 

I really loved the original Motley Fool investing guide.

I read it in high school, and it opened up worlds for me. Since I grew up in a family where no one had savings and many didn't even have a checking account, I wouldn't have been exposed to any of the ideas in that book otherwise. I actually read it doing a report on "internet companies."

Although I didn't have any money for investing or anything like that, when I did have options I knew what to do. I always put in what my company matches into my 401k, and I knew how to choose the lowest fee options in that account. I also started 529ks for both my kids when they were born - and I've always had them put half of any money they get as a gift into that account, plus 10% of any money they earned.

The main reason that even not living a PF focused life we had relatively small debts was mainly thanks to that book.

Also online, Investopedia is a great place to have any finance concept explained quickly.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 am 

I've been thinking about some of the posts here for a while and I realized that if I broaden my definition of "financial", that yes, the bible has influenced my financial decisions. I donate money to help the poor and weak, I make (or try to make) socially just expenditures, and I don't make money my priority. These things seems second nature so I don't really think of them as "financial guidance" but after some reflection, they are.

Yet if I think about capital allocation and the technical aspects of financial decisions, well, that's a different perspective.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am 

"The Richest Man In Babylon" is definitely one of the best books on money management I've ever come across. It's simple to understand (if you ignore the old English style of grammar and spelling).

For example, it's been a timeless maxim to "Pay Yourself First" every time you receive your income in order to have a capital to invest, but many people simply do not do it.

This book narrates many ideas in the form of short stories and it appealed to my taste, at least. (:

P.s. You should check out the chapter entitled "Seven Cures for a Lean Purse"

www.LowHanYew.com
www.Twitter.com/LowHanYew
www.Facebook.com/LowHanYewPeter

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am 

As an Investment Advisor and self confessed Stock Market junkie before starting my investment business in Clifton VA called Goldberg Financial, LLC I have probably read 50 books on stock investing strategies. Of them I think 3 could have been more than enough and these three are the top ones if you want to know how to invest in stocks:

Jim Cramers: Sane Investing in an Insane World
Tom Bulkowski's Charting Patterns Book
HS Dent: The Great Crash Ahead

Each book focuses on a different and important aspect of investing.

Cramer's book is fundamental focused. As great as Warren Buffet and Benjamin Graham were with value investing unless you like to buy and hold stocks for 2-3 years and do constant weekly in depth business research on them, this is a better choice. Focuses on PE ratios, market rotations, and things that ACTUALLY move stocks.

Charting Patterns is great because if you don't understand the importance of stock chart patterns then you will NEVER be successful with investing endeavors. Even a basic understanding is necessary in my opinion.

HS Dent is an economic financial forecaster forecasting very long term financial trends based on demographics. The book is incredible. He forecasted the stock rally into 2000, the housing bubble, and the stock market crashes decades out based on demographic spending habits. Truly incredible work.

Michael Goldberg
Goldberg Financial, LLC
in Clifton VA
You can follow my blog here: http://financeinlife.blogspot.com/2012/09/markets-on-fed-watch.html

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:01 am 

GoldbergFinancial wrote:
As an Investment Advisor and self confessed Stock Market junkie before starting my investment business in Clifton VA called Goldberg Financial, LLC I have probably read 50 books on stock investing strategies. Of them I think 3 could have been more than enough and these three are the top ones if you want to know how to invest in stocks:

Each book focuses on a different and important aspect of investing.

Cramer's book is fundamental focused. As great as Warren Buffet and Benjamin Graham were with value investing unless you like to buy and hold stocks for 2-3 years and do constant weekly in depth business research on them, this is a better choice. Focuses on PE ratios, market rotations, and things that ACTUALLY move stocks.

Charting Patterns is great because if you don't understand the importance of stock chart patterns then you will NEVER be successful with investing endeavors. Even a basic understanding is necessary in my opinion.

HS Dent is an economic financial forecaster forecasting very long term financial trends based on demographics. The book is incredible. He forecasted the stock rally into 2000, the housing bubble, and the stock market crashes decades out based on demographic spending habits. Truly incredible work.

Michael Goldberg
Goldberg Financial, LLC
in Clifton VA
You can follow my blog here: http://financeinlife.blogspot.com/2012/09/markets-on-fed-watch.html

Jim Cramer wouldn't know a stock pick from a toothpick.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 pm 

GoldbergFinancial wrote:

Stock charts are meaningless for anything but entertainment and lining bird cages. I would run as fast as I could from anyone who said he made decisions based on them!

HS Dent is an interesting character and I really enjoyed his book (The Great Recession Ahead), at least until I got bored with the very dull statistics dribble (and I love statistics!). Personally I think there is a lot to be said for his approach. It is based on data and on economic/sociological fundamentals. Unfortunately, although he did make a couple of correct calls, his track record going back 30+ years is not quite 50/50. And he missed 2008 entirely. It is hard to give much credit to anyone who missed that big event while claiming success on much more minor corrections. But I agree, it is a good book and he makes some points worth thinking about.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 am 

I read "Your money or your life" one time, and "Rich dad poor dad" 4 times.

I like Robert Kiyosaki books, it's a life perspective that shows you how a well structured financial education can make you live a happier life, no matter how much money you make.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 am 

marcelomusza wrote:
I read "Your money or your life" one time, and "Rich dad poor dad" 4 times.

I like Robert Kiyosaki books, it's a life perspective that shows you how a well structured financial education can make you live a happier life, no matter how much money you make.

Yeah...that's until you file bankruptcy like Kiyosaki did.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm 

Some of my favorites include...

Think and Grow Rich
Anything by Suze Orman
The Four Hour Work Week
The Go-Giver
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
The Millionaire Next Door
Almost anything by Warren Buffet. Loved reading his biography. Such an interesting character.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:49 pm 

My top 10 finance books have always been the following:

- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Koyosaki
- The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley & William Danko
- The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- The Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham & Jason Zweig
- The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly

I think they cover a wide range of motivational, personal finance and investing topics and are a great start for a solid financial education.

I maintain this list http://dreamscashtrue.com/financial-resources/best-finance-books/, where you can also read a short synopsis of each book.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 pm 

I just read a really good book - fairly short and sweet but it was awesome.

The Behavior Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money

http://www.behaviorgap.com/

There's an audio book version going around.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 am 

According to my experience "The Richest Man In Babylon".is the best financial books ever.people can solve their business queries by this book.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 pm 

Here are my top books to read if you want to make it on your own:

The $100 Startup (Unabridged) Chris Guillebeau (great ideas on boot strapping)
Quitter (Unabridged) Jon Acuff (Get started before you quit your job)
4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris (Great inspiration and great tips)
Rework (Unabridged) Jason Fried, David Heinemeier Hansson (Use what you do today to get started)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am 

FaaastCash_ wrote:
If you are an financial planner, analyst and would like to get ahead in the world, perhaps you'd like to know some of the secrets behind how the top investors do it. Books like "How to Prosper during the Coming Bad Years" and "The Wall Street Gurus - How You Can Profit from Investment Newsletters" are really helpful. You must have knowledge of the market before investing.

I haven't read the latter book but the former book was published in 1984 and was so far off the mark over the next 29 years that it's astounding to me that it's being recommended today.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:04 am 

firstly, I am going to defend Dave Ramsey a bit. I agree that he gives terrible investment advice, i mean not only does the guy advocate 100% stock portfolio he also claims that you can safely withdrawal 8% of your money in retirement without touching your principal!!! He does however do a better job of motivating people to get out of debt than just about anyone. I would have never become debt free without him. I'm sure many others here feel the same. he also does a great job for people such as my wife who cant stand finance to understand the most important parts of wealth building, stay out of debt, have a budget, have an emergency fund, invest heavily in a Roth IRA. If people blindly follow his or anyone's advise without doing any further research then it seems that the fault is theirs. still though his advocating of high fee mutual funds over index funds smells of scam artistry.

Ive read quite a few books on PF and learned a lot but the biggest revelation I had was from the millionaire next door. I live in Northern Virginia and work at the Tysons corner mall, one of the most high end malls in the country. I never cared for big houses or fancy cars but always felt poor compared to people who had those things, thinking that they were rich. I listened to the book on tape on my way to work and within my 1hour commute my way of thinking about wealth had completely changed. I parked next to a decked out BMW looked at the well dressed woman inside of it and thought "that poor woman must have so much debt" totally life changing!!! first heard about it in Daves book

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next