Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Post subject: Accounting vs Business Management
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 am 

I am considering getting a Bachelor's Degree in either accounting or business management.

I currently have an Associate's of Applied Science and work as a paramedic for a large city. I would love to shave a career in either finance or another business. I am also licensed to sell life insurance, health insurance, accident insurance, annuities, variable products, and I also have my property and casualty insurance license. I am currently not working in the field, and it is kind of my safety net in case something happens to my current job.

I will be going to a 2 year online accelerated program for either degree from an accredited university...Indiana Weselyn University. I am currently finishing up some prereqs at a community college.

My first choice would be to start a career as a financial advisor, and after that insurance sales. However, my wife hates the hours that those jobs have and would prefer a steady income instead of a commissioned based salary.

Accounting seems like a good compromise. It would give me all of the financial stuff thatI love with the better hours/steady income. This degree will take 22 months, but would require me to take 2 more math classes before beginning. That means that I would not be able to start the 22 month program until May 2009. However, we will be 100% debt free at that time and paying for the course with cash. The entry level salaries are close to what I make now, but I should make more money that I make now after 2 years.

Business Management is another degree that I am thinking about. I also would love to manage a business, but I have no real business experience. I am somewhat concerned about what jobs I would be able to get with a degree, but no experience. This program is 18 months, and would not require any extra classes. I would start it in January and would be paying cash. However, we would not be debt free until July 2009.

Which degree would you suggest?

Fight For Your Second Amendment Rights
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:06 am 

As a recent business management graduate working on his MBA, let me encourage you to NOT get a management degree. Get something disciplined because in every discipline, you are going to get the major points of management (usually).

Speciality > generalness.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am 

If those are your choices, do accounting.

I have not seen people finding a management degree all that useful at the undergraduate level. Graduate, yes; undergrad, no.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:20 pm 

If you plan to get the MBA then business, otherwise you're better off with more marketable skills.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:03 am 

I would definately suggest accounting. I am currently getting my MBA and many people in the program had a bachelors in business. A BA in business just isn't that marketable these days. Best to pick a specific area. Good Luck!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Accounting vs Business Management
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm 

Business management is more appreciable and at the same time helpful for all of us i mean growing in a way that helps us with moving into the right direction in terms of doing fine so yeah this is the way how it is,According to me that is managing the business.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:15 am 

You must be really bored.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:35 am 

I've preemptively locked his posts to prevent future edits of spam.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill