Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 am

Post subject: Bachlors, Masters, or None?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 am 

Let's start by saying I'm in a very lucky spot. I have a BA degree, and a good job. My work has given me liberty to go back to school AND pay for 1/2 with no strings attached. I'm comfortable in my job, don't plan to leave, and believe no matter my choice; new opportunity will present itself for growth.

Here's the dilemma... I currently have a BA Business Degree. My interests are LARGELY in the technical side. So I could go back for a SECOND Bachelors degree; this time in something IT related, OR go on for the Business-side Masters Degree.

Bachelors = 3.5yrs
Master = 2yrs

Bachelors = Passion
Master = Profit

I'm currently enrolled in the IT side, but I feel like I've learned everything I'm going to learn. The remaining classes are really just prerequisite garbage I'll never use in the real world.

I don't have anything to show for my time spent in class (aside from the new skills which I CAN USE). Is it really worth going back for 3.5yrs of garbage classes when I already have a piece of paper (albeit unrelated to IT)?

Should I pursue the Masters now and give up on the 2nd Bachelors? Why am I even going to school at all? Is it even worth it? Should I quit with nothing to show for it?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Bachlors, Masters, or None?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 am 

You should get an MBA with focus on MIS. That will get you the credentials and is generally equated with IT. It seems like the best compromise in your situation.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 am 

Seriously, go after what you love. I know it sounds cliche, but when your happy to go to work you are so much more productive. Money will follow. That's the phase in my life I am working on.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 am 

I agree with what fantasma said.

But you also need to realize that a second bachelor's degree is generally not worth much in terms of getting a job, advancement, etc. If you were going for it just out of personal interest that's fine.

It seems like an MBA with an MIS focus bridges the gap for you between what is professionally relevant and what is personally interesting.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 pm 

I would go for the MBA. You may not have another opportunity to get an MBA for half price. Besides, nothing is guaranteed in life and you may have to change jobs in a few years and an MBA may be helpful at that point. But focus on what you like - the MIS classes - as others have suggested.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm 

I would say don't be lured by the attractiveness of another piece of paper, or the price. Unless you can truly define exactly what you will get out of this, other than a good deal on an MBA, don't bother. If it will actually give you more job advancement, then go for it, but I have a feeling it won't matter as much as you think. Just don't do it because you "can", you know?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am 

mooreric wrote:
I would suggest going for a Master’s program. I see little sense in going back to school for another Bachelor’s. What if this is a passing fancy and after a few years you realize that you don’t want to continue working in IT?

A business degree will at least provide you skills that are relevant across industries. You can continue your employment on the business side of IT and follow your passion. But if you ever tire of the field, you can always explore options in other industries with a http://www.cc-sd.edu/business/masters/business-administration.

Besides, I think a graduate degree would have more value in terms of growth and earning potential as compared to a double Bachelor’s!

I agree. But do not under any circumstances consider the place linked in that post. It is NOT accredited by an organization that matters. For an MBA the only accreditation that you should care about is AACSB. That scam school linked does not have it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill