Is Another Degree The Answer to a Dead End Career?

There's more to wealth than money. Health and happiness are important, too.
This is the place to discuss organization, self-improvement, and success strategies.

Moderator: lvergon

schro440

Is Another Degree The Answer to a Dead End Career?

Postby schro440 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 am

I need a bit of advice regarding a possible return to higher education to get a second master’s degree.

Currently, I hold a BFA and an MFA in photography and $54,000 in student loan debt. I have a stable, steady, easy, but frustrating dead-end job that I have worked for 3 years. I am currently a photo tech/glorified librarian for a private college. My salary is a wistful $40,000 gross. My partner has recently secured a new position that will allow us to move to any major city in the US, meaning if I were to decide to go back to school our relationship would continue.

My current, albeit dead end, career path has brought me into a better financial position (I have no credit card debt, have started an emergency fund, have been investing regularly in a 401K, and a mutual fund). Trust me, I am grateful for all that, but I have realized that I do not want to stick it out as a fine art photographer nor am I able to take my experience and translate it into a more satisfying career.

On a positive note, my current job has given me a better idea of what I want to do – become a digital asset manager/archivist. Unfortunately, this is one career move that absolutely requires a MLIS from an ALA accredited college.

What’s a guy to do? Stick it out and hope that something better comes along? Or take the plunge and take on more loan debt in hopes of a better paying and more satisfying career?

I greatly appreciate the advice... Thank you.
Andrew

DoingHomework

Re: Is Another Degree The Answer to a Dead End Career?

Postby DoingHomework » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am

How about looking for a job in a similar position at a university with an ALA master's program. Then you can pursue that MLIS at very low cost while continuing to work.

I happen to be very familiar with a library school like you mentioned. The vast majority of students work while getting a masters degree.

If you can afford to quit working and go to school full time then I see nothing at all wrong with that but I think your message suggests that is your only option. It's not. There are also accredited distance programs in your field.

Good luck.

schro440

Re: Is Another Degree The Answer to a Dead End Career?

Postby schro440 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 am

Excellent! Thank you for the reply. I've never been especially fond of distance/online learning as so much of making grad school a successful experience involves networking, getting exposure to faculty and advisors, and just... being there. However, I will definitely keep looking into online programs...

Return to “Personal Development”