dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Encouraging others' debts?

  GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Encouraging others' debts?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:55 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 pm
Posts: 1776
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Gotta disagree with you, DH. I'm as ambivalent about religion as you are, but I do listen to Dave Ramsey, and the way they frame the tithe is not at all about "lending" the church your money. Rather, it's about GIVING BACK 10% of God's money. That is, the money is never yours to begin with - it's God's. By giving back 10% and only living on the remaining 90%, you're acknowedging that the only reason you have any money at all is by the grace of God.

Note that I think that's nonsense, but that's how the Christians reconcile the tithe with the whole "neither-a-borrower-nor-a-lender-be" philosophy.


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Encouraging others' debts?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:36 am 

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 4:50 am
Posts: 171
DoingHomework wrote:
While you could correctly infer from my comments on other topics recently, that I am not the slightest bit religious, I thing the analogy partygypsy made is fairly accurate. Religion/church fulfills a spiritual need for many people (any perhaps something more for others). I don't really see anything wrong with looking at money given to a church as borrowing again future spiritual fulfillment the church provides. It's not that much different than paying dues to a club where you get benefits later (which might be intangible).


"Tithing" or "giving money" is much more like purchasing an "intangible" service. It's not much different than paying dues to a club, but quite different than loaning someone money to collect principal and interest in the future.


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Encouraging others' debts?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:00 am 
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5395
kombat wrote:
Gotta disagree with you, DH. I'm as ambivalent about religion as you are, but I do listen to Dave Ramsey, and the way they frame the tithe is not at all about "lending" the church your money. Rather, it's about GIVING BACK 10% of God's money. That is, the money is never yours to begin with - it's God's. By giving back 10% and only living on the remaining 90%, you're acknowedging that the only reason you have any money at all is by the grace of God.

Note that I think that's nonsense, but that's how the Christians reconcile the tithe with the whole "neither-a-borrower-nor-a-lender-be" philosophy.


Yeah, look into the etymology of the word "tithe" - it's a punishment. It has the same root as the Roman practice of slaughtering 1/10 of a legion to punish them for defeat.

In any case, my point is that if people want to give to their church, give back, or however they want to phrase it, that's really their own decision.


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki