dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Quitting Smoking and Saving Money

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 am

Post subject: Quitting Smoking and Saving Money
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 am 

I've finally made the big step of being a quitter. I've smoked for over 13 years and decided this is my year to quit. I've created a savings plan to go along with it.

http://www.singleguymoney.com/2009/01/im-ready-to-quit-smoking.html

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:52 am 

Good for you! :wink:
I wish you all the best of luck quitting.
I myself quit the expensive tobacco habit a couple weeks ago,
I'm the cold turkey kinda guy and it was quite easy for me.
Money is my best motivation to quit, I just can't afford it.

(maybe I'll start again when I'm out of debt, hahah)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 am 

If you assume that most people are about a-pack-a-day smokers, and that in most places a pack is about $5...

$5 x 365 days a year = $1825, or nearly $2000 a year....

There should be a permanent reason for not smoking and there could be no other reason than your health

It is a proven fact that as u smoke your lungs become older than your age group... the more older it becomes...more difficult to breath and will decrease stamina...

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm 

I just switched to cheaper cigarettes.

Just kidding. Congratulations on quitting. You've improved your life in countless ways. I smoke the occasional hookah or clove with friends, and I can always feel the craving the next day. I can't imagine the physical and mental addiction after 13 years. I hope you're aware of the high relapse rate and have some kind of support group or something to that effect. I hope you're not running for president, as I hear that sends people running back to pack. :lol:

Ryan

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:41 am 

I quit cold turkey at 34 because they were hurting me and stayed off for 14 years until my wife at the time told me she wanted a divorce and that night I went and bought three packs and then over the next couple of years I had to fight to get loose again. Sad to say even now from time to time I will smoke a smoke and then ask myself why I did that as I don't like the taste and they make me feel bad, so I am not the guy to tell someone else to quit. All I can say is try to make it one day at a time. I can be off and you blow smoke in my face and it doesn't make me want one but stress triggers the desire in me and then I have to get myself off all over again.
But great for you that you have made the choice to quit > And you should save a lot of money on the smokes as well as medicial care in the future

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:54 am 
I do not smoke but heard that quitting smoking is bit difficult task, well you have taken a very good decision, congrats on quitting. This will be a good way of saving money and also good for your health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 pm 

Congratulations of quitting. I went cold turkey about 6 years ago. To this day I am still addicted, but I never let myself have a cigarette.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Quitting Smoking and Saving Money
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:06 am 

That is a good choice! ;) ;) ;)
Congratulations! You've done a very powerful thing by actually following through on your goals. In doing so, you've come farther than many.

Quitting smoking is extremely tough. I see it in my patients all the time. The hardest thing is the routine. Like alcoholics trying to kick the habit, many of the smokers have to go to such lengths as avoiding favorite bars or other business establishments to avoid the association with smoking. Sometimes it means quitting poker or doing other activities where smoking played a big part. This is a similar problem with over eaters and alcoholics, the associations play a potent reinforcing role in the habit. Changing the conditions of the environment is helpful in maintaining a commitment to quit.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 am 

Good for you. I quit smoking myself 9 months ago, haven't had one cigarette since then. Cold turkey too. Best thing that ever happened to me.

If you want, I highly recommend "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" book by Allan Carr. It acts great as reinforcement in weak moments or just before you quit.

Keep it up.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 pm 

I need to try this for my $150 a week beer habit :/

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill