dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Money Only Buys Things; Things Don't Make You Happy!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Post subject: Re: Money Only Buys Things; Things Don't Make You Happy!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:22 pm 

OMG! I just googled the location in your signature. I envy you now!

I lived overseas at one point in my life and I have never been the same since. The US is a great country. But there are many great countries. I know from experience that a good deal of what we think of our country is based on uniformed rhetoric. I don't say that to knock us in any way. But often when I hear things about us that are widely accepted, I know they are simply untrue. We do not have the most freedom, the best economy, the most potential, or almost anything else like that. We do have a wonderful country. But there are many other places that are also wonderful. I always like talking to people who have lived elsewhere because they almost always have a much more open-minded and informed view of the world.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:20 pm 

It is kind of like that song by Michelle Shocked, "American, I Love You, But I Have to See Other People."

I remember when the country used to come together, now if feels like everyone just read a silly Ayn Rand novel and is using it to justify their bullheadedness and selfishness. I don't find it fun to watch self destruction, I will be traveling a long while.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm 

LifePart2 wrote:
It is kind of like that song by Michelle Shocked, "American, I Love You, But I Have to See Other People."

I remember when the country used to come together, now if feels like everyone just read a silly Ayn Rand novel and is using it to justify their bullheadedness and selfishness. I don't find it fun to watch self destruction, I will be traveling a long while.

American's like to rally around a cause when it is the current "thing to do."

It is difficult not to be cynical when you work in a major city. On a daily basis I see people cut the line so they can grab a see on the trolley. Drivers cut people off, gridlock busy intersections, etc. Just today I almost got run over by someone while I was crossing with the light. Of course it is the street I have to cross to get to the 7-11 for my soda and scratch offs. My luck I will finally scratch off a big winner and I will get run over returning to my office. I just hope the first responder to the scene doesn't take the ticket from my pocket. :swear:

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm 

It's good you simplify your life, but I think travel is not the only thing you should do after you simplify your life. There are more meaningful things to do in our life, which could bring us more happiness.

Last edited by ninasen on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:13 am 

Well for us travel is simply a mechanism we use to do good things. For instance, last week we were working with the indiginos in the villages outside of San Cristobal, Chiapas. Next week we will work with someone else.

Travel for us is a mechanism to see the world as it is and report back. We believe people fear that which they do not know and we want to make the world better known; and hopefully do some good along the way. At the risk of bring moderator ire upon myself, you can see our site at http://www.lifepart2.com

Jon

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2