dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - How to change your behavior

  GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How to change your behavior
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 am 

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 am
Posts: 12
Location: White Rock BC
A psychologist or counsellor would tell you that your problem is pretty normal. The machinations of money are very rational and rigid as computer code. Personal Finance is only 25% rational financial knowledge, the other 75% is all about behavior management. You seem to have the motivation for and rational knowledge of Personal finance and you identified the problem...it is your psychology. One of the major psychological barriers to rational money management is age. Human capacity to think logically especially about money matters does not really start maturing until age 35 and crescendos in the 50s. Until then you are preoccupied with a lot of primal motivations such as food, status, attention and sex,sex,sex. Failure is quickly removed from conscious acknowledgement as humans are hardwired with 106 cognitive biases to rationalize such failures especially when the come to status and money. One of the rationalizations is that "I just don't want to hear a bunch of psychological mumbo jumbo about my money". You look like you are starting to approach the rational thinking demographic so get ready...things will start to fall into place shortly.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: How to change your behavior
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 am 

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 am
Posts: 196
Human nature is a tough thing to break. Which is why I resort to trickery.

All of my finances, except for buying groceries and the like, are entirely automated. Making changes in any of my system involves delays of up to a month, and I know this. After doing my budget out, I figured out exactly how much I need to cover expenses, plus a little extra (about $25). Everything else goes into the 401k/IRA, and an emergency fund that is very annoying to access.

Result? I have tricked myself into paying all of my bills on time, investing in my future, saving for emergencies, and feeding myself, all without really having to think about it. At the same time, when I want something, I have no option but to save and scrimp in areas of my working budget to afford it. It's as if I have tricked myself into believing the other money does not exist.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki