Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 am

Post subject: Laid off extra time
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 pm 

I was recently laid off, mostly because I'm going to law school in August. At first, I was desperately applying to jobs, terrified that I'd be broke or worse, bored. But now, after the dust has cleared, finding a job seems like a whole lot of hassle since I can only work 5 months at most, the job market is tough, I envision having very little free time when I'm in law school and since I've scrimped and saved enough not to need the few months of cash I could get as a temp. But I wonder, what now?

While I was working, there seemed to be so many opportunities for which I never had enough time. Now I have time but I don't know what to do! I want to travel and to get involved with my community. I could use a project to keep my mind occupied. Any ideas on what to do with 5 months of "free" time but not unlimited resources? What would you do if you were me?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:04 pm 

I would volunteer.
When I was a consultant, and waiting for my next assignment, I would volunteer at a motorcycle shop and act as an assistant to a friend who was a mechanic. He did the work, I watched and learned, and I was able to get out of the house every day. I brought lunch or bought a small lunch, and only had to pay for gas.

I'm sure there are volunteer opportunities nearby. Also, you should write a list of things you want to do and go do them. If you don't have an idea, a list will help, and it will also sort out your time. Maybe each month you could do something different. Traveling would be cool, but it does cost money.

Best of luck.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm 

What were those things you wished you'd been doing while you were working? Do those.

My biggest piece of advice is not to be sweating not working. Enjoy the time you have. It's a rare opportunity. Traveling is only limited by funds, so go see old college friends or family that you can stay with. Catch up on reading. Learn to fix bikes or cars or motorcycles and get a crappy one and try to improve it (assuming it doesn't become a money pit). Learn a musical instrument.

Ok, now I'm jealous.:wink:

Ryan

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:31 pm 

if you got money then fook it have fun, if u need money daily labor ftw lol

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:20 pm 

Ah, free time! What's that like? :)

I took a few months off between working full-time and going to grad school, and I spent most of that time visiting family and friends, just relaxing and having a good time with everyone. I knew that once I was in school I wouldn't be able to leave whenever I wanted, due to my class schedule and my low income as a student. So for me, the best use of my time before school was to have that quality time with the people in my life.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill