dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Waking Up Earlier - Strategies?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 pm 

I put my alarm clock on the dresser across the room from my bed. Unfortunately, it turns off after one minute, so I've learned to bury my head under the covers until the alarm stops! The methodology is good, but I need a different alarm clock to make it work. :)

Sunlight helps. I leave the curtains slightly open so some sunlight comes in, and just having the room that much brighter helps me feel more awake and ready to go in the morning.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:29 pm 

Jana wrote:
I put my alarm clock on the dresser across the room from my bed. Unfortunately, it turns off after one minute, so I've learned to bury my head under the covers until the alarm stops! The methodology is good, but I need a different alarm clock to make it work. :)

One of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxW-PeCSNfU, perhaps?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Get a dog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:47 am 

Get a dog. My dog wakes me up at 4:30-5:00 every morning.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm 

I just read somewhere that caffeine stays in your system for up to 14 hours, inhibiting us from reaching the deepest levels of sleep even if we're able to nod off on time. I'd restrict caffeine consumption to the first couple waking hours, if you're already drinking coffee. I would also avoiding napping, so that you're ready to fall asleep earlier at night. No matter how uncomfortable your new schedule is, I think you'll start adjusting within 1-2 weeks.

I have the same problem each summer after 1-2 months of vacation, where I've stayed up until midnight, slept in, and taken a bunch of naps, and then reality hits and I need to wake early for work again.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:42 pm 

I've never been a morning person and I one of my favorite activities is to stay in my comfy bed, but I regularly get up at 5:00 a.m. (or before) because I like to squeeze in some exercise and I need to be in the office early (before or at 7:00 a.m.).

In order to get up by 5:00 a.m. I need to be in bed by 10 p.m. and asleep shortly thereafter. You need to figure out how much sleep you need and go to bed early enough so you get those sleep hours. Since you are working fomr 9-10 p.m. you may want to give yourself time to wind down after that work hour and target 11 p.m. and aim for 6:00 a.m.

I slowly trained myself to get up earlier, I didn't go from getting up at 7:00 a.m. to getting up at 4:30 a.m., instead I went from 7:00 a.m. to 6:45 a.m., and slowly over weeks/months trained myself. And when I'm away from my normal schedule (vacation) or the time change I have to make adjustments.

And I don't hit the snooze, when the alarm clock goes off I get up and get going.

http://adventures-of-sam.blogspot.com
(Follow Sam's financial and real estate adventures.)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:01 pm 

I've been struggling with this myself. I've never been an early riser since I usually sleep between 1-2am. I'm really making a concerted effort these days, and my goal is to be disciplined enough to start going to bed earlier. I'm doing it in small increments, half hour earlier at a time. If you want a really good in-depth article, here's a classic article by Steve Pavlina:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/

Happy reading!

http://www.mintingpennies.com
Making Change Two Cents At A Time
Personal Finance, Investing, and Microfinance

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:33 pm 

When I use to work in the hotel, I was still able to manage it because I was assigned for the 1st shift. It's all about managing time and discipline. It worked for me. My goal is to do my job early in the morning and get everything properly organized before my day ends. I enjoyed my work before and I am happy to get that experience.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am 

I'll add some science to this - when your body temperature is falling you will get sleepy and when it is rising you will wake up. This is how nature regulates sleep. There is obviously a lot more to it but you get the idea.

If you arrange for the room to cool off when you want to go to sleep and the warm up when it is time to rise, that may help. You could maybe do this with a thermostat with a timer.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 am 

Oh, and two more things:

When and what you eat will have an impact. This is personal so you need to experiment. But generally do not eat sugar or a lot of carbs for several hours before you sleep. And nothing too spicy.

The second thing is, try swimming laps for exercise in the evening before you need to sleep. Any exercise will help but swimming seems to be best.

Good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 pm 

It is all about time management for you. Sometimes people are having a hard time to get a good sleep because they are still stressed out for the pending tasks that they have to do. Keep in mind that you need to organize yourself if you want to achieve something whether it is big or small.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:04 am 

OP, is there someone you could meet up with that early in the morning? Someone on a similar schedule, perhaps? Accountability to another person is a fantastic motivator.

To get our respective work days started, a friend and I meet at either a coffee shop or our own living rooms. This ensures both of us are up, showered, and working by a certain hour. It's been great so far.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 pm 

Jana wrote:

Sunlight helps. I leave the curtains slightly open so some sunlight comes in, and just having the room that much brighter helps me feel more awake and ready to go in the morning.

I use this method too. Once you're out of bed it's a lot easier to decide and get the day started. If a college student like me can manage to get up early then anyone can.

Also, this sort of goes without saying but you have to get to bed on time for this to work. Don't stay up doing nothing on the internet.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:46 am 

I am just starting to wake up early, so I am glad I came across these tips. I usually wake up around 6:40- 7 AM but plan to wake up at 5 AM.

I think I will start by trying to wake up at 6:15 AM first.

The tip about waking up just a bit earlier initially struck a chord with me.

I was trying to wake up at 5 and ending up waking at 7. Now I'll try to wake up at 6:15. :)

Thanks of course. :)

http://www.personal-development-is-fun.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 am 

The best way I found to achieve this (10 years and going) is to set up your alarm clock one minute early each day. So in a month you will be waking up 30 minutes earlier. After this set it eralier by 2-3 minutes each day until you achieve your desired wake up time.

Other tips:
- Wake up at the same time EVERY DAY not just M-F
- Go to bed when you feel sleepy. For me this is sometimes 8pm other times 10.
- Have a cup of coffee when you get up. Sounds basic but at the beggining you might need some help
- Go work out as soon as you get up, will get you metabolism going

Nowadays on most days my eyes open up between 5-5:30 alarm clock or not. Makes for a great start to your day.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Waking Up Earlier - Strategies?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 am 

I just set my alarm to go off 15 minutes before my actual wake up time, and go off every 5 minutes until I need to wake up.

I used to wake up at 5:45am for work. I start at 7am. I work 10 hours daily and found that going to the gym after work was 1, exhausting, and 2, very crowded. So now I wake up at 3:30am to be at the gym at 4. I spend an hour there.

First morning was difficult, but now I'm used to it. I'm also more awake and alert at work too. And best part, I started eating breakfast (post workout). I also cut out coffee entirely from my diet and drink 10-12 cups of water daily.

Yes, it sucks waking up early and going to bed by 8pm. It also sucks not being able to stay out late on weekends with your friends. But the health benefits and better lifestyle totally outweigh that.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next