dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - 5 Steps to Increase your motivation

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Post subject: 5 Steps to Increase your motivation
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 am 

Here are 5 steps to increase your motivation.

* Doing something new.
* Having something to look forward to.
* Feeling love for someone or something.
* Experiencing a boost to your self-esteem.
* Having a positive attitude.

From here:
http://poweressence.com/success/increase-your-motivation

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:32 am 

Your 5 steps is basically what others need to understand to get motivated even if difficult situations. I would say, go for that! Keep your goals and aim high always.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:55 am 

It is easy to name steps, but the problem is how to achieve them.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:15 pm 

My biggest motivator is actually to create a goal list. If I have something written down then I sort of feel like it's "permanent until completed" instead of something that's just a whim. Another big motivator for me is to break large tasks into smaller parts and then focus on completing those smaller parts.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 am 

The best way to achieve one of the goals is to remain focused on the positive in your life. On a daily basis think of what you have and not what you don't. If you focus on that then you will be able to love those around you or something you enjoy to do that much more. For you begin to appreciate everything more than before.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:00 pm 

Hi Cemiess,

Thanks for updating the post. Let me tell that the way which you have showed are easy to read and easy to understand. But I could not find out a way to implement it in day to day life.

Cheers.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 am 
Hi everyone,

I find that an excellent way to develop and maintain motivation to do something is to spend some time to think about what matters most to you (your values), what you you want to accomplish (your goals) and the "benefits" you will have when you complete your goal(s). Write down the benefit(s) and frequently remind yourself of them whenever you need a motivaitonal boost. Also, create a list of prior major accomplishments and read it whenever you need a motivational boost to remind yourself that you have the ability to succeed. Always remember, "you" can accomplish whatever you are "capable" of doing if you put the focused effort in to work towards it.

For a motivational boost visit my site Personal-Development-TV.com http://www.personal-development-tv.com.

Have a GREAT day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 am 

connor_zen wrote:
My biggest motivator is actually to create a goal list. If I have something written down then I sort of feel like it's "permanent until completed" instead of something that's just a whim. Another big motivator for me is to break large tasks into smaller parts and then focus on completing those smaller parts.

Agreed.

It doesn't help me one bit to have a goal like "pay off mortgage." It helps if I break it up into smaller mini goals that help me get there - "refinance the mortgage," for instance, or maybe "look for a second job."

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 am 

Blueberry Scone wrote:
It doesn't help me one bit to have a goal like "pay off mortgage." It helps if I break it up into smaller mini goals that help me get there - "refinance the mortgage," for instance, or maybe "look for a second job."

Goals need to be specific and achievable to be effective motivators whether personal, in education, or in business.

"Climb Mt Everest" is not a very good expression of a goal for anyone because it has no time deadline and may not be achievable. "Climb Mt. Everest in 2012" would be a perfectly good goal for someone that has the ability to achieve it.

It is also best to keep goals in the near term. I have financial goals that are farther out (retire when I am 55, only 10 years out) but I don't really think of that as a goal. My goals are much more specific for this year...and they are written down. I have goals that are out to about 10 years but generally I don't think they have much value if they are more than 5 years away. People just have too hard of a time focusing on something that far in the future and lives are too dynamic to plan that far. I think of thos kind of long term goals more as direction setting.

I think it is also important that they be somewhat challenging. When I was about 27 I came up with a plan to be able to retire by the time I was in my early 40s. By about 35 I had paid off the mortgage and saved enough so that it was just possible to retire IF I taught about half time (I had also gotten myself certified to teach at a community college and had done it for a couple of years). But what I found was that my goal had actually not been very challenging. Having achieved it I felt like I coud relax a bit, took a couple of years off work, and generally was not highly motivated. I didn't do anything to screw up my life, and I had fun, but I was not fulfilling my potential. Now, 10 years later, I have a similar goal to retire early (and have no doubt I'll be able to) but I also have some fairly challenging goals I have set for myself in terms of life experiences and accomplishments as well as achieving certain net worth targets at specific times. Some of those cost money so I know I have to keep working and saving.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill