dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Utilizing iGoogle to track...well, life.

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Post subject: Utilizing iGoogle to track...well, life.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 am 

So I newly discovered iGoogle (when I say newly discovered, I mean really for the first time started using it; I've known about it for a long time) and I must say, it's really changed my life in regards to being organized and on top of my finances and everything. I use the ToDo list to help remind me of things that are on my agenda, and I also really like having Google Reader on there to track all of the blogs and news sites I read.

Does anybody else utilize iGoogle?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:39 pm 

Nope, don't trust Google enough to use em.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:04 pm 

My wife and I have been using it for a long time, I've got weather, gmail, a get rich slowly feed, and Google latitude on it at the moment but I change it around frequently. I'm a big fan of all the Google products. I use Google spreadsheets for my budgets, gmail and gtalk for my email and instant messaging, Google docs for documents and Chrome as my browser. My wife uses Picasa to organize and publish her pictures. We're also getting excited about http://wave.google.com/.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:03 pm 

Ruggy wrote:
Nope, don't trust Google enough to use em.

Any particular reason?

Also thanks for the tips Cleverbeans. I'm finding that it's organizing my life a bit more, and I might try and utilize Google Docs a bit more.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:45 pm 

I use Gmail, Google Reader (love it) and Google Docs. I use Yodlee for finance stuff. And Picasa is great for photo management and minor editing.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:37 am 

Oh yes, iGoogle is my own customized portal to the web!

I use it to track my email, bookmarks, weather, stock tickers, and overall market conditions, as well as a separate tab for all the major online economic news.

This works out exceptionally well when I am at work, where I still have access to the same information on a workstation as I would from home.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:44 pm 

Definitely! My iGoogle has my email, calendar, weather, to-do list, stock quotes (not that I own any, but I like to track them), a language translator, and quotes of the day. I love it!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 pm 

I also get a kick out of changing the iGoogle theme periodically, usually to ones that change throughout the day or with the weather. :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:20 am 

I use igoogle alot too. Recently, I set up a Google Form to help me track daily expenses. The form shows up in gmail, and automatically feeds into my tracking spreadsheet; that way I don't have to open up the spreadsheet each time I want to add in a new expense.

I also use one of the premade budget worksheets, but I just started using this, so can't really give a recommendation yet. But it's working well so far.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:52 pm 

Yeah, I use iGoogle as my own personal portal to everything from my stock portfolio to the weather.

I'm not concerned about security (although I do change the password on a regular basis). Even if my account is compromised, there's nothing super-sensitive on there.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 am 

I also use igoogle for fresh news, weather, calendar, gmail, different rss feeds (getrichslowly is one of them)...

Does anybody use for some other, more useful purpose?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:13 pm 

I find them cross the line violating my trust the more I use them ... eventually they will find out what you need most and charge money from it .... I would prefer the old fashion way, pen and paper.

After all when the pen paper are lost, the action of writing it down actually leave a carbon copy in my mind ....

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:48 am 

I use Gmail, and Google Reader, Calendar, and Documents. ^_^ So handy, and I love 'em!

I do use Picassa on my computer for viewing/minor editing of photographs, but I don't like the online album part as I prefer Flickr.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:27 am 

I too discovered google reader just a while ago. It is awesome for feeds of blogs!

On my Igoogle page, I have jokes, weather. a wonderful picture google selects and quotes.

The quotes reay inspire when I am all down and open google anyway ;)
The picture usually has some nice place i can go holidaying too, so it's always nice to watch.
Who doesn't love a joke for a break?

So for me, till now yes, google rocks. :)

http://www.personal-development-is-fun.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 am 

Use the calendar to put family events. That way both my wife and I see what is in each others schedule and for what things we both need to be present and/or plan for.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill