Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Post subject: The writing on the wall? or just a phase?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 pm 

I've been with my current employer for nearly 2 years. The company is in expansion mode and it is bumpy. I've not been with a company during an expansion before and I suppose what I am witnessing is not unusual; power plays, employees who grumble about change, new processes that cause chaos and so on. The owners are quite insistent that this will open up new opportunities within the company that can only be gained in other parts of the industry.

This could be a benefit to me both career-wise and financially, but I don't know if the bumpy road and wait will be worthwhile, not to mention there is no guarantee of promotion. Initially this job was meant to be a jumping off point into the industry hence my reluctance to leave since I am already established and opportunity might arise.

I don't know how long to wait until I start applying for other positions outside the company. 6 months? End of the year? A full-year?

How have others on the board decided it was time to leave an employer for movement up the career ladder versus waiting for an opportunity within the company, an expanding company at that?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: The writing on the wall? or just a phase?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:00 am 

Change presents opportunities. Personally I'd probably stay and try to work the system you know. I have been in rapidly growing companies and have taken advantage of tremendous opportunities. But I have also left when I didn't like what was happening and saw better opportunities elsewhere.

You just have to look at all your opportunities/alternatives and choose the one most appealing to you.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am 

annadragon wrote:
I've been with my current employer for nearly 2 years. The company is in expansion mode and it is bumpy. I've not been with a company during an expansion before and I suppose what I am witnessing is not unusual; power plays, employees who grumble about change, new processes that cause chaos and so on. The owners are quite insistent that this will open up new opportunities within the company that can only be gained in other parts of the industry.

This could be a benefit to me both career-wise and financially, but I don't know if the bumpy road and wait will be worthwhile, not to mention there is no guarantee of promotion. Initially this job was meant to be a jumping off point into the industry hence my reluctance to leave since I am already established and opportunity might arise.

I don't know how long to wait until I start applying for other positions outside the company. 6 months? End of the year? A full-year?

How have others on the board decided it was time to leave an employer for movement up the career ladder versus waiting for an opportunity within the company, an expanding company at that?

I had been in a position for 7 years when I finally decided that it was time for me to move on. It was a very hard decision because i liked the people that I worked with and enjoyed my job. I just wasn't able to make ends meet financially.

As to how long to wait before applying, I wouldn't wait at all. I would seek out employment opportunities that are higher then the one you now hold. Just because you apply for a position doesn't mean you will get offered the job. Just because someone offers you a job doesn't mean you have to take it. If someone offers you a good job opportunity then use this as leverage to tell your current employer to make a counter offer.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 pm 

True, I had a phone call out of the blue a couple of days ago from a recruiting company asking me if I'd be interested in a position at another company (same recruiters had placed my in my current position 2.5yrs ago). I went along to the assessment interview and found out more about the company in question, turns out it's one we contracted out part of our facility to at one of my previous jobs, so I knew about the product beig made and a bit of the history. The recruiters have put my application through to the company, I'm ust waiting for an interview date next week.

I wasn't looking for a change of company, but it's an opportunity to go and do something different, within my scope of skills, and it's possibly only for a 12 month contract. It may not be worth making the jump as I'm permanently employed where I am with a good 18 months of foreseeable work implementing new systems, on top of my day to day role.

Will see how the interview next week pans out, at the very least I get to work on my interview skills.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm 

Well this week started off swimmingly... at the annual company conference call it was announced that we would all be receiving pay freezes for this year. :? :(
Lots of promises from the company top management and owners that we are just riding out a rough tide in the economy and those who stick it out will be rewarded.
I have not been with the company long enough to know how this will play out. It makes me nervous.
I do think I'll start polishing up the ol' resume and keep an eagle eye on local openings for now.

geoff_tewierik wrote:
Will see how the interview next week pans out, at the very least I get to work on my interview skills.

Geoff_T - how did you fare at your interview?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:20 pm 

annadragon wrote:
Well this week started off swimmingly... at the annual company conference call it was announced that we would all be receiving pay freezes for this year. :? :(
Lots of promises from the company top management and owners that we are just riding out a rough tide in the economy and those who stick it out will be rewarded.
I have not been with the company long enough to know how this will play out. It makes me nervous.
I do think I'll start polishing up the ol' resume and keep an eagle eye on local openings for now.

For what it's worth, having been in a senior management role at one point, I think you are probably safe. Usually, though not always, when pay freezes are announced publicly it means there will not be a large layoff. That's because when you do a big layoff you scare the heck out of everyone. The best people find other jobs so you need to leave yourself enough leeway to offer them raises to stick around or you are left only with deadwood. So, while pay might actually stay level during layoffs, there would not usually be a big announcement about it.

It would not hurt to look for a backup plan but if I were in your shoes I would probably feel a little reassured by that announcement.

Just realize that this decision is probably based on some best estimate of what lies ahead. If things get worse they could always need to make deeper cuts. But you should have at least another 3 months while they wait for the next results.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 am 

At my agency news of impending lay-offs every month for the next few months is what's we have been told is going to happen.

The administrator has encouraged everyone to brush up their resumes and start applying elsewhere.

My suggestion: start looking even if your not a risk. Don't be afraid to change.

There's no such thing as a safe job.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm 

annadragon wrote:

Interview with recruiter went well.

Unfortunately the company itself went and filled the position without telling the recruiter.

Oh well, at least I have an updated resume.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 am 

geoff_tewierik wrote:
annadragon wrote:

Interview with recruiter went well.

Unfortunately the company itself went and filled the position without telling the recruiter.

My next goal.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 am 

fantasma wrote:
geoff_tewierik wrote:

My next goal.

You should always have an updated resume, not necessarily because you're always looking for work, but because you never know when opportunity will present itself. What many people attribute to good luck is simply being prepared to capitalize on opportunities when they arise. Bad luck is often just missed opportunities.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am 

VinTek wrote:
fantasma wrote:
geoff_tewierik wrote:

My next goal.

You should always have an updated resume, not necessarily because you're always looking for work, but because you never know when opportunity will present itself. What many people attribute to good luck is simply being prepared to capitalize on opportunities when they arise. Bad luck is often just missed opportunities.

I've always kept my resume up to date! I even used to carry it with me. You never know when an opportunity will present itself.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 am 

Back to those of you facing possible layoffs...I've been through that several times, and my approach is to start looking for other jobs, but only jobs that are a step up from my current one. It takes time and patience, but every time I've done this, I've ended up at a better job with higher pay. Besides, I believe that saying "it's easier to find a job when you have a job". Good luck!

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill