Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Post subject: Treadmill Desk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:52 pm 

Okay, so after a very healthy winter and spring '09, in which I lost 30 of the 50 pounds I need to lose, I had a not-so-healthy summer, and gained 10 back. Boo!

So now it's fall, and I'm trying something new. I picked up a $50 treadmill on Craigslist, put a plank of wood across the handlebars, and set my laptop on top. I'm posting this while I walk at a comfortable 1.7mph pace. :)

I spend all day, almost literally, at my computer at work, and then my laptop at home. Don't get me wrong, I get out and spend time with wonderful friends in non-computery ways too, but the bulk of my day is spent sitting. Since I can't do anything about that at work at the moment, and since I've had a really hard time sticking to any exercise regimen, I figure I'll try to convert my couch-sitting time to walking time. It's a little weird (and surprisingly loud...), but hey, I feel good to be trying something. :)

Has anyone else out there tried the treadmill desk idea? I'm currently just doing it while I browse and chat on the web, which is easy enough, but I'm wondering what it would be like for more serious work. It certainly feels a lot better than sitting all day!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:49 am 

Your solution sounds a lot more affordable than the WalkStation:

http://www.details-worktools.com/product_details.php?pid=740

(It's $4,500).

I think the WalkStation is quieter and is designed for slower speeds, plus the built-in desk looks nice, but your solution should work.

I've never used one of these, but when I was using voice recognition software I had a long cord on my headphone that allowed me to walk around the room while writing, answering email, etc. I'm a person who likes to pace, and I seem to think most clearly when I'm moving, so that worked well for me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:15 am 

There was an article in a newspaper a few years back about a guy who did this in his corporate office and loved it -- kept off the weight etc. In fact, he had two treadmills so that if someone came in to meet with him, the other person could walk along with him. (Might have been in the NYT?)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 am 

Yeah, I'd read that article, I think... it might have been at the Mayo Clinic, I know they've been studying this sort of stuff there.

And yes, the $50 old used treadmill and a plank of wood is certainly a lot cheaper than the "official" versions! :) And other than the noise, just as good... I figured this would be a good way for me to decide if this is something I'd actually do, and if it is, I can invest in a better (but still used) and quieter treadmill later. Like when my husband returns from his business trip and complains about the noise. :) This certainly isn't a very good treadmill, but for just walking it doesn't really need to be.

Heh, one thing I'm discovering as I walk this morning, which is quite chilly, is that the desk might let me keep the thermostat lower! :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 am 

The noise would probably be a dealbreaker for me, as I'm on the telephone a lot with my colleagues and clients. Apart from the fact that it would make it harder for me to hear them, they're likely to hear the sound themselves, esp. if I'm on speakerphone.

Another option to consider is a simple sit-stand workstation -- I have a friend who always works at her desk standing up, and while it doesn't consume as many calories as walking on a treadmill it does consume more than sitting, plus you tend to move around more in general because you're standing.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am 

Yeah, I wouldn't talk on the phone like this, I paused it and wandered around the house last night to place a call. But I don't talk on the phone very often.

I've thought about standing desks, but my back really bothers me when I stand still. I'm fine when moving though.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:25 pm 

Excellent, exactly what i need, but $4500 ???

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 am 

People interested in treadmill desks might find Lauren Starling's DIY tutorial worth checking into:

http://turbowalkstation.com/make-your-own-treadmill-desk/

Frank

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 am 

It was an effective way to lose some pounds for me was when I used the threadmill. It is a matter of discipline also since my goal is to lose excess weight. Trying to focus what I think is smart enough and taking the challenge that comes with it.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill