dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Career changing as part of a couple

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 am 

sure, with actual logic-based applications this time... not so much the removal of blood simply for "balancing the humors" (ie the blood, phlegm, and black or yellow bile humors, which turned out to mean nothing).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 am 

galactic wrote:
sure, with actual logic-based applications this time... not so much the removal of blood simply for "balancing the humors" (ie the blood, phlegm, and black or yellow bile humors, which turned out to mean nothing).

es, I know...just trying to balance with humor...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Career changing as part of a couple
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:47 pm 

Well ok, the OP didn't have to dip into her pocket for her tuition. Got it ;-)

Regardless, even if her Ph.D is free, she spent a lot of time achieving it, and once graduated, if a math degree pays kakaa, then I am still correct, that the ROI is not there.

Anyone that can achieve an Ph.D in math has the brains to do so much more to make $$, because to be happy in this life, one needs options, and options cost money...I know, I wrote this too many times, but it is really that simple....you wanna be happy? Provide yourself options...they are not free!!

HomeWork, yes most developers make sub $100,000 per annum....because most are not very good businessmen....they have the brains but not the wisdom....they are mostly lemmings that work for someone else, making someone else reeech....I work for myself and make myself reeech.

People don't so much lack knowledge, as they do wisdom...no college in the world teaches wisdom....

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Career changing as part of a couple
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:17 pm 

I don't want to give the impression that studying mathematics can't be good financially. There are some very rich mathematicians. For example, James Simons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_Simons.
He was a very successful pure mathematician who founded a hedge fund. And I'm sure there are lots of less extreme examples.

Before I started my PhD I was making less money than I got paid as a stipend working at a job that made me cry every day. So studying the PhD was very good for me financially. The thing is I don't have a lot of confidence naturally, I'm shy, I find people hard to understand and I'm yet to find a way that I can be especially useful. That's why I can't make a lot of money. If I'd studied IT it probably would still be the case.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3