Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Post subject: Minimizing, Decluttering
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm 

I think in the United States, our culture about "things" has changed a lot. If you looked at houses from the 80's and 90's, as well as the early 2000's, inside you would see huge armoires, big bookshelves, large boxy televisions, rows of vhs/dvd/cd cases.

Now everything is clean and simple. We can store all that data in laptops and handheld devices. Furniture has become smaller, sleeker, thin, glassy. And instead of lots of decorations, homes have been subtly accentuated.

I think this is a big change in our culture, and in fact a good one if we want to keep the philosophy of saving money on junk.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Minimizing, Decluttering
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm 

Smaller and sleeker doesn't necissarily translate to less expensive. It also doesn't mean people aren't buying "junk." You use a lot of absolutes in your posts ("always", "never", "everything", etc.). The world isn't black and white; it's all shades of gray.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 pm 

I'm actually of the different opinion.

Over the years, our houses are definitely getting bigger. Just from talking to old-timers and seeing older houses, I've noticed that back in the day a 1000 sq feet house was quite enough for people - now it's classified as "small and cozy". What do we do with all this space? Fill it up with stuff.

Furniture and other things were built to last. Now it's a throw-away junk most of the time. You furnish your entire place with sleek furniture from IKEA and it falls apart few years later. It's definitely not coming with you to your new place - it's only built to be assembled once. I've seen countless time people throwing away the furniture when they move and buying different one when they move in. Talk to people from older generation about furniture - they used to give their furniture to their kids - because it would last that long.

Yes, you save your info on your computer or hand held device. How many of them have you had in the last 10 years? I bet more than a dozen. What happened to the other ones? Junk.

Junk removal companies came into existence just recently, and are benefiting from our throw-away culture. We throw away things at a huge scale. Our parents and grandparents didn't do it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 am 

Captain Awesome wrote:
Furniture and other things were built to last. Now it's a throw-away junk most of the time. You furnish your entire place with sleek furniture from IKEA and it falls apart few years later. It's definitely not coming with you to your new place - it's only built to be assembled once. I've seen countless time people throwing away the furniture when they move and buying different one when they move in. Talk to people from older generation about furniture - they used to give their furniture to their kids - because it would last that long.

Is it better to buy IKEA furniture and throw it away every 10 years? Or should you buy built to last stuff that lasts your entire life for 10x the price (consider both the time value of money and the fact that you aren't going to live to age 130, assuming you can afford to buy the "real" furniture at age 30)? And then you expect to pass it on to your kids, but they already have their own furniture and anyways they don't really like your taste in furniture. So they throw it away or maybe sell it at an estate sale for 50 bucks.

I'm somewhat just playing devil's advocate. most of our furniture came from those estate sales and whatnot.

But the truth is, furniture is significantly cheaper nowadays. Our parents and their parents spent a pretty decent chunk of their income on furniture, clothes, food, etc; the share of income dedicated to those things has gone significantly down in the last century in the US. And the technology you mention didn't even exist for consumers. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

In fact the low cost of physical goods is quite possibly the cause of all the clutter. We as a species grew up during millennia where physical goods were hard to get and precious. And perhaps we haven't grown out of that yet.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 pm 

Quote:
Now everything is clean and simple.

Depends where you look. I've been to plenty of houses where there is too much crap and stuff that's never used. I think our society is more material than ever...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 pm 

There are people who still prefer big houses, huge furniture and grand decorated houses. It is not necessary that everyone wants a sleek, neat and clean house. It will depend on individual taste and choices.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 am 

Quote:
Smaller and sleeker doesn't necissarily translate to less expensive.

I find the opposite is the case nowadays. Minimalist design usually = expensive.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 am 

Though declutter simplify your life, we are in look out for new gadgets and in this process we are accumulating so many things! But I personally like the idea of decluttering. You will realize it is not as hard as you imagined and the rewards are so worth it.....

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill