Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Post subject: First Blog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 am 

YAY!!!! just created my first blog :clap: . Just wanted to share with everyone I am still new to this so I was hoping someone can critique it and give me some tips. I am using bluehost and using the wordpress application. Check it out under my signature. This is still a work in progress but I am excited and looking forward to this.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: First Blog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 am 

jpham540 wrote:
YAY!!!! just created my first blog :clap:

It's great that you've started your journey with an unique identity. That blog of yours is good but you need to really organize things there. Wordpress is great to go on with. There's a lot of plugins for you available to make it look and work good. Congratulations on your first blog creation.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 am 

Yea I'm still trying to learn how to use wordpress any tips? Still a work in progress so I got a lot to learn.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 am 

It looks good! The name is a solid choice. The one thing that I've learned as a blogger is that you've got to update it often. The golden rule is three times a week, but even if it's once a week the posts quickly add up. I'm going on twelve years as a blogger now. I've had successful blogs and I've had blogs that only see tumbleweeds. What remains is that you have to consistently update it. And tinker with it! You've got a theme up now, but you may want to add a header or a logo to give it some more visual appeal.

Also, you've got a unique situation. Not a lot of people live in the Middle East. I'm sure your experience will be interesting to learn from.

Good luck with it! :clap:

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 am 

Thanks for the feedback, yea I will try to update more often, but working 12 hours every day doesn’t leave me with a lot of time. Hopefully I can keep blogging and try to add new things consistently. I’m still researching more about word press and different type of plug-in I can use.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm 

What I tend to do is write when I have the time and then I schedule the posts for later. There are certain times of the day that people are more willing to read posts (those that don't use RSS readers, that is.) That way you only need to promote the posts during the days that you're working via social media instead of sitting down to write them, which takes more time.

I usually add plugins when I find that the need arises from them. One that I recommend utilizing right away is Akismet because it keeps the spam at bay. Other than that, unless you're running a Wordpress with really specific needs like a photo gallery, forms, or media players, you don't need much.

Have fun with it. I love blogging!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm 

Congratulations on starting a blog! I love the blogging community.

One tip is that, since you work long days, schedule your posts in advance like mistlechild said. You can use the Editorial Calendar plugin to make it easier.

Get involved in social media. Twitter is great for meeting other bloggers and people who may want to visit your blog. Also, sign up at Twiends.com to really meet a lot of people on Twitter.

I could give you tips for hours! Instead of giving you a bunch of random tips, if you have any more questions, let me know and I can tell you what I would do.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 am 

Thanks for the feedback, I will look at more plugin later on.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 am 

Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I also just started my new blog a few days ago.

Actually I started last week but some tweaks to the blog caused it to crash so I had to repost my posts. Still, great to join the blogging community.

Saw your goals - great goals. Wish you all the best in 2014! :inlove:

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill