Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 am

Post subject: Career Move
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm 

Thinking about a career move from sales to marketing within my company. I would be going from a basic support role (placing orders, giving pricing, bit more complex, etc.) to being a marketing rep for one of our biggest lines in the company. Lots of phone talking, presentations, some travel, etc.

Biggest concern I have right now is obviously the fear of advancement. I want this role, it's my first commission role and I'm eager for it, but it's 2-3 steps above my current career role and in a different department. I have some of the sales skills for it but not the presentation/discussion skills. Obviously, things I can work on but I don't want to disappoint people nor be in a role for over a yr that I'm not comfortable doing.

I guess my question is more about any advice/books which would give me some insights for how to handle advancing so quickly and accommodating a new role. I know the team and vendor a bit so it won't be a major culture shock but still a good one nonetheless. I'm always hesitant about taking the next step and have a huge fear of failure which I want to overcome.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Career Move
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 pm 

The only way to improve your presenting skills is to present things. No book is going to help. Believe me, I've been doing this the hard way. Check out Toastmasters, which is a public speaking class.

When I have to give a presentation at a sales meeting, I pull aside a coworker and practice with them. My more experienced coworkers critique my speed/how I stand/suggest how to use my arms, etc. My poor husband is now very well versed on my last project, because I figure if I'm presenting a new product to a customer, I should be able to explain it to someone who has no idea. Anything in my presentation that isn't crystal clear, my husband asks questions, and I adjust my presentation accordingly.

As for failure, my best advice is just to accept that you'll fail sometimes. Everyone screws up. It's not fun, but it's one of the best ways to grow. Heck, one of my project presentations was subtitled "99 ways not to make *product*." After you fail, you analyze what happened, where you went wrong, what to do differently, and go from there. Life with no risk is boring.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 am 

I agree with what you said, I just want to make sure I'm ready for this role and not going in over my head.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 am 

srv524 wrote:
I agree with what you said, I just want to make sure I'm ready for this role and not going in over my head.

Would you be offered the position if you were not ready?

This change may not be right for you - I have no idea. But you have to realize that almost everyone who ever takes a big leap up in responsibility/duties worries about how they will do.

My advice is, if you want the job, figure out what you must do to be successful in it and do that. If it means learning new presentation or schmoozing skills - learn them. Toastmasters is a good suggestion but so is hanging out with those in your company already doing that job. Is there any chance of getting a mentor even if it is informal?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm 

I wasn't given the offer yet. There's been an opening for this role for 3-4 weeks now so I assume they're having a hard time getting people to interview. Not to say that if I interview I'll get it but just weighing my options.

I know a couple guys on the team and did a sit-in the other day with 1 of them. He explained what they did and how they operated but didn't give anything too specific. I have another sit-in with another member of their team next week because she's new and from a different vendor line so they thought it would be good experience for me talking to her.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 am 

you'll be fine! just be confident and don't worry about what will happen. think positive things and positive results will follow!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

Going through something similar internally.

I'd like to make the switch from being an SME in the public sector to becoming a Consultant in the private sector.

My self esteem is not very high, I dont think I am smart enough nor have enough experience to break into this highly competitive field.

You have to constantly shmooze and network to go onto the next job.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill