Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Post subject: Too much stuff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:23 pm 

I have tried on numerous occasions to sell some stuff on ebay. This normally results in me paying them and not getting any bids.

The more I have to clean the house and scratch my head about "where is that dang thing at".... the more I just really want to get rid of the clutter and crap and TRY and get organized. Actually... Im almost afraid to get organized. Im afraid of how many of "insert item" I really have.

Here lately when I come across some stuff I will either try and pawn it off on friends or just toss it all together. I live in a very rural area so we dont have alot of the donation type sites that most large cities have.

Any idea on how to get rid of your stuff? Honestly... I dont have the time for a yard sale (and it wouldnt go over real well 5 miles outside of town... with town only being around 600 folks)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Too much stuff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:47 pm 

I guess the first step is to make sure you're not still adding to the clutter. You could set yourself a challenge of not buying anything unnecessary for a month, or anything from a list of things you tend to accumulate.

Personally, I'm currently not buying paper until I've used up all the paper I've got.

What kinds of things do you have? It could be fun to think of how to get rid of them.

Since you don't care about some of the stuff, and it's difficult to give it away, you could think of it as an opportunity to guiltlessly destroy a bunch of stuff. (Although, maybe I'm the only one who fantasizes about smashing my belongings sometimes. :) )

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:59 pm 

Actually... at this point... Im not sure what I have. I need to set aside a day to emerse myself in throwin crap out.

I know I have some old computer books... that prolly gonna make it to the trash.

Old like Windows 3.1 old

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:44 am 

Sell it on craigslist, its free. Do a dual garage sale using the locale of a friend that lives in town.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 am 

If you think the stuff really has some value, you could try setting aside a place to pile it up. Then after you have a sufficiently large pile, drive to the nearest urban area with a donation acceptation center. Or, have a yard sale, like someone mentioned at the house of a friend closer to more population or whatnot.

On the other hand - maybe the stuff just isn't worth selling or donating. I know my wife and I can get caught up in trying to avoid throwing stuff away. But some stuff, just doesn't have that much value. Sometimes you need that psychological boost of "at least it's not going to waste" by having someone else do the throwing away for you. But if you can get over it and do it yourself... well it will definitely save you some time.

I doubt craigslist will work any better than a yard sale. I personally haven't had much luck with ebay either - usually when I sell a batch of stuff, I get lucky with one item that sells for a bit, but most of the stuff sells at the break even point (so I waste time vs. just throwing it out/donating it).

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 pm 

Just smash it all up and use it for firewood.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:17 pm 

Don't forget - donations give you a tax deduction. Just be careful to properly document the value of what you donate. I think Hillary Clinton got thirty or forty dollars for an old pair of Bill's underwear a few years ago so the sky's the limit!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 pm 

I like the idea of letting the "donate" stuff pile up, then bringing it all to the nearest donation site when you've accumulated enough to make it worthwhile.

You really need to be honest with yourself - when was the last time you used a particular item? Do you have something else that can be substituted in its place? That's how my friend got rid of her breadmaker. She realized she hadn't used it in years - because she didn't make bread all that often. Now, she knows that if she wants to make a loaf, she can just use a regular loaf pan and bake it in the oven.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm 

hi,
have you thought about donating it?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:00 pm 

Ive been trying to donate to friends and such but that well is drying up. Figure the trash man will be cussin me for a few weeks once I get started on this.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill