Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:27 am 

congrats on getting picked up at consumerists! article is here: http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/ask-the-consumerists/is-there-life-after-debt-261216.php

i plan on being about 95% out of debt over the next 10 months, sans a very small student load and of coarse, my mortgage... i already have a 1 year emergency fund built up... so after my debt is nailed away i plan on traveling a bit and looking at flipping my home so i can buy a bigger one... i don't think ill ever own my own home outright, i plan on buying and flipping every 2-3 years for the next 10-12 years till im in my dream home. where i live, property values have risen 30% in 18 months... good for me when i sell, bad for me when i go to buy.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:59 am 

I'm currently debt-free (and have actually never been in debt before) so I'm probably one of those pampered Generation Me brats y'all hate. :wink: My goal is to increase my net worth holdings such that whenever I retire, I'll be able to sustain my current cost of living. Of course, I don't know when I'll retire, and I'll probably still keep on working... whether or not I generate any income from that work, I have no clue. During this whole financial journey, I'd like to figure out what exactly it is that I like to do... and (hopefully) get a job in that field. And, of course, make the world a better place. 8)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

congrats on getting picked up at consumerists!

Nice. I hadn't had a chance to check my daily blogs yet. The Consumerist often points to GRS blog posts (for which I am grateful), but this is the first time anybody has pointed to these forums. I was wondering why we had 57 visitors earlier today. Maybe I should make registration easier. Some of them might have joined!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:02 pm 

squished18 wrote:
I like to take Warren Buffett as an extreme example to answer this question.

What changed in his lifestyle after Warren Buffett made his first million? Not much.
What changed in his lifestyle after Warren Buffett made his first hundred million? Not much.
What changed in his lifestyle after Warren Buffett made his first ten billion? Not much. (Except a personal Gulfstream jet.)

Yeah, the only major change I foresee once we're FI is that we'll more gladly splurge on purchases that contribute to a real savings of our time; that's what I'll value most.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

This thread seems like a good place to post a link that Siobhan posted elsewhere:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3