dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Changing life for the better is terrifying!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Post subject: Changing life for the better is terrifying!
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:59 pm 

In two weeks, I will no longer have an income. Because life is never easy, my 4 month e-fund is now 1.5 months. I'm moving all the way across country without a real safety net.

The good: We're moving for my fiance's job, and he's thrilled. He's out there now, and I've never heard him so happy about work. He's getting a 20% raise and a promotion. I'm getting... the kick in the pants I needed to get out of my job that was never going to take me anywhere. My expected salary, based on what I've found on salary websites, is about $15k higher than what I have been making. Also, I may have fallen in love with the area (Westchester County, NY) during my weekend out apartment hunting.

The bad: The apartment we got is way more expensive than I ordinarily would be comfortable with without knowing how much I will be making. We had less than 48 hours to find a place we could live with.

The ugly: Job-wise, I know I'm up against a lot of competition. I'm an analytical chemist. The area has a lot of pharma companies that have been laying off chemists left, right and center. If the economy were better, I know I'd be hired in a heartbeat, but it's not.

I know we're making the right decision. It was either the fiance take this promotion and relocation or be laid off. Of the two of us, I'm more employable and far better at interviewing. Still, I'm terrified. I am not a "assume everything will work out somehow" type person, especially since my e-fund got cut so drastically.

If I have no solid job prospects by the time I'm actually in the area, I'm planning on applying to waitressing jobs. Not my first, second, third, or even fourth choice, but you do what you have to do, right?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has, be it books with interview tips or stories about how you jumped off a cliff while blindfolded and still landed on your feet, because seriously, that's how I feel about now. Messaging me saying you live in the area and have a position available at your company for a chemist will get you my first born.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Changing life for the better is terrifying!
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 am 

Have you considered teaching community college chemistry part time? Forensics? Both are booming and you might have skills/qualifications to hop right in.

Admitedly it is a tough time for lots of fields right now. You might need to do the waitressing thing for a while. I see nothing wrong with that but I would caution against doing anything that lets your skills get stale.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill