Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Post subject: Re: I need a bachelor's degree
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 am 

fantasma wrote:
suzwantstobefree wrote:
I completed my MBA a few years ago and went to a brick and mortar school at night. **However** the University of Florida offers an MBA completely online and I agree that it carries more weight with future employers when they see a name they recognize as a top notch school. (Go Gators!!!)
I know you didn't ask about Masters Degrees, but I believe that the majority of state schools offer undergraduate programs online depending on the type of program and the classes needed to fullfill it. Check out the state university system in your state first as it will be the cheapest option. Good luck - it is so nice to see an employer step up to help you with your education :)

Suz,

Are you serious....2010 score 31-7... ;)

I am a SEMINOLE.

We all have things that we have to overcome (Seminole) :lol: ... Seriously though, they are both good schools. I actually live near the University of Central Florida and am contemplating taking some course there. I love school.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 am 

I gotta get your motivation in regards to school.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 am 

I agree with other people who have posted, please please please stick with a state school! Univ. of Phn. is a total joke, and has been investigated by congressional committees in past months. I am sure the for-profit business model can work and can educate, but they are doing some very shady things. Also, if your school's company does go belly up or looses the even minimal accrediation the school current has, your degree will be worthless anyway.

University of Florida does have online programs, but many require you to go there either at the end of the semester or at the end of the program to take a cumulative exam. I have done a masters program through them, and went for the cumulative exam weekend at the end. It was a great program and UF is an awesome school!

I would start checking local colleges in your area. Try typing into their websites "Distance Education" or "Online education" and see what comes up. If the local colleges do not offer online programs, start looking at surrounding state's programs at colleges. Even if you don't need a bachelor's degree in something specific, I would still choose something that could be used elsewhere or for grad school (aka avoid "General Studies" degrees!). Something broad based like business, psychology, political science, will be able to be transferable to other careers or a wide variety of graduate school options.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 am 

Independence University is NOT accredited like most academic colleges. I would highly recommend NOT wasting time with that place. They are a for-profit school like those currently under investigation for taking students' money and providing a poor education that does not lead to a job.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 am 

I am currently getting my Bachelors Degree at University of Maryland University College. http://www.umuc.edu Happy with it so far, and it's accredited as well just like Univeristy of MD College Park. There's online classes, and there are structured classes. Should be done in May 2012.

I was also looking into Penn State World Campus, but that was really expensive, even if the job was going to cover some of it.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:22 am 

KevinV wrote:
I would first look at in-state schools where you are. My wife just recently went back to school in Indiana. Our two big state schools of Indiana University and Purdue University have satellite campuses throughout the state. We were close to the IU campus in Indianapolis and the IU campus in Kokomo. She went with Kokomo to avoid the traffic in Indianapolis. There are also online classes that she has taken too from there. I would check your state schools to see what they offer.

Good for her. At the end of the day it won't matter for most people what school name is on the diploma. As long as you have it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am 

Tightwad wrote:
Good for her. At the end of the day it won't matter for most people what school name is on the diploma. As long as you have it.

I'll go a step further than that. I have occasion to do hiring now and again. At some level, I expect people to stop emphasizing what logo was on their backpack and start emphasizing their accomplishments.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:25 pm 

VinTek wrote:
Tightwad wrote:

I'll go a step further than that. I have occasion to do hiring now and again. At some level, I expect people to stop emphasizing what logo was on their backpack and start emphasizing their accomplishments.

I completely agree. I've attended several schools and have taught at a couple including a top tier research university that is easily one of the top 25 in the world and often makes the top 10 lists in the US.

You will get a much better education at a community college or a small liberal arts school in most cases. For graduate schools or for many specialties the school starts to matter.

And as Vintek said, for anything but an entry level position, what you have accomplished matters far more than where you went to school. I'd personally be more inclined to hire an MBA who busted her butt working full time and raising 3 kids while going to podunk U online than a ring-knocker who graduated top of his class at Stanford but spent his weekends on the golf course recovering from his hangover from the frat party.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:21 am 

plenty choices of online bachelor's degree. what you need to decide then is your major subject. you must to know that each major subject of bachelor degree have their own estimation tuitions. hope this helps. good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 pm 

I agree - you need to decide on your major and then search for a program. Additionally, I personally think it makes most sense to take any and all classes that you can at the community college level. Tuition for classes should be in line with what your company is willing to pay. Only once you've got those basic courses and electives that are necessary for your degree should you take the more expensive courses. Unfortunately, for a bachelor's degree from an accredited school you're probably going to have to pay more than $600 per class. But if you get as much as possible out of the way at CC, and with the 88 credits you already have, hopefully you can mitigate that expense and debt.

Will your new degree earn you a salary increase at your company?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

byesadness wrote:
If you really want to get a bachelor's degree online, then you need to bear with the expensive tuition fee. :cry:

Don't forget about the university's fees

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2