Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Post subject: I need a bachelor's degree
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:21 pm 

Does anyone know of any universities that will allow you to get a legitimate bachelor's degree online? My company wants me to get a degree and will pay up to $600 per class for me to do so. I looked into U of Phoenix, but there classes are more like $1675. I don't have an extra grand per class to dish out and I refuse to take on anymore student loan debt.

I just got my transcript in the mail from when I went to school (stopped in '03) and I have 88 credit hours.

Also, my work schedule pretty much prevents me from doing anything other than online classes. I work M-F from 9:00am to around 8:00pm.

So, anyone know of any colleges that will let me take all classes online for no more than $600 per class?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: I need a bachelor's degree
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:40 pm 

Any idea as to what you want to study, or are you just looking for the diploma?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:37 pm 

There are schools that offer a legitimate bachelor's degree that is entirely online.

If you are only looking for the diploma then I think the best thing to do is look online for yourself. If you are in the US find something that is accredited or you will be basically wasting your money. Search for "distance degree"

In almost every case you are going to need to do some kind of "residency" on campus. That will be either a weekend, a couple of weeks in summer, or a semester. If your company really wants to support you in getting a degree they should support that. If they just told you to get a degree in order to get promoted then you might need to use vacation time for the residency or find a place without that requirement.

One thing to be careful of is that both the school and the program should be accredited. Cal State Univ Dominguez Hills is an accredited school with lots of online programs but not all their programs are accredited. Nothing wrong with them, just a typical problem.

University of Phoenix will sell you an MBA as you noted...but they are NOT accredited by AACSB!

Explain what field you are interested in and I might be able to help you. Among other things I have been on several college/university committees setting up distance programs and was even asked to be an advisor to a state's Board of Regents on distance education, though I had to decline because, ironically, my job would have kept me from attending meetings!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 am 

It depends entirely on what field you are studying. Plenty of accredited universities offer online classes, you would just have to look to see which one offers the degree you are looking for.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 pm 

I have zero experience with online degrees, but I have watched an interesting Frontline video on for-profit institutions, which also include those online. There are many great online programs out there, but be aware that there are many that are established solely for making money. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/?utm_campaign=viewpage&utm_medium=grid&utm_source=grid

Why not just take night classes at your local college? Have you looked into this yet?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 pm 

I would not necessarily say that there is anything wrong with a for-profit college. But you are correct that it is important to be careful. Remember that state universities are heavily subsidized by state governments. You will almost always pay more for teh same education at a for-profit school.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:42 am 

If you really need to get yourself a degree (your dream or theres no other way you want and can make money) i advise to type in google - top 100 universities and check if universities in top 10-20 have online degrees. As far as I remember Boston has.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 am 

If you really want to get a bachelor's degree online, then you need to bear with the expensive tuition fee. :cry:

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm 

byesadness wrote:
If you really want to get a bachelor's degree online, then you need to bear with the expensive tuition fee. :cry:

Not true. Some state universities charge in-state tuition for online programs. This can make it cheaper.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 am 

You need to do some more research, including talking to someone at the universities you are interested in. You need to find out what credit hours you can transfer; alot of that depends on what degree you are getting.

If it is worth it for you to get a (legitimate) bachelors, you will need to invest both time and money into it, no way around it. Remember most people getting a bachelors devote 4 years and multiple 10's of thousands of dollars to it. You will catch a break from not living on campus and paying dorm fees and meal plans, but you may have to pay in other ways.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:03 pm 

I highly recommend an accredited state university if you can get accepted.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 am 

Out of curiosity, why do you need a bachelor's degree?

http://shop.costumeheads.com/collections/costume-heads/products/mouse-head-level-1

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:27 pm 

There are plenty of state universities with online programs that may allow you to pay in-state tuition. From what I've seen, state universities offer the best combination of reputation/price. Unfortunately in some places (i.e. here in California) public university tuition has increased substantially recently. Other universities (i.e. Phoenix) tend to charge a premium for convenience. Additionally, when considering a candidate I tend to look down on no-name universities (I consider Phoenix one of these). I'm sure there are better schools of that sort these days, but I still have that bias. Brick and mortar schools tend to offer a different experience and I think many employers, especially old fashioned ones, tend to appreciate that more. When earning an online degree from a brick and mortar school there is generally no way to tell whether the degree was earned online or as a resident...a huge plus. Just my opinion.

P.S. Also, if you have aspirations for grad school, you'll have an easier time getting in with a degree from a reasonably well-known school.

http://www.maysfinancial.com: Dedicated to improving financial literacy with personal finance and financial planning information including web-courses, videos, articles, a financial glossary and more. All content is free.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 am 

I completed my MBA a few years ago and went to a brick and mortar school at night. **However** the University of Florida offers an MBA completely online and I agree that it carries more weight with future employers when they see a name they recognize as a top notch school. (Go Gators!!!)

I know you didn't ask about Masters Degrees, but I believe that the majority of state schools offer undergraduate programs online depending on the type of program and the classes needed to fullfill it. Check out the state university system in your state first as it will be the cheapest option. Good luck - it is so nice to see an employer step up to help you with your education :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am 

suzwantstobefree wrote:
I completed my MBA a few years ago and went to a brick and mortar school at night. **However** the University of Florida offers an MBA completely online and I agree that it carries more weight with future employers when they see a name they recognize as a top notch school. (Go Gators!!!)
I know you didn't ask about Masters Degrees, but I believe that the majority of state schools offer undergraduate programs online depending on the type of program and the classes needed to fullfill it. Check out the state university system in your state first as it will be the cheapest option. Good luck - it is so nice to see an employer step up to help you with your education :)

Suz,

Are you serious....2010 score 31-7... ;)

I am a SEMINOLE.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next