Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

Post subject: I Need Help.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:00 pm 

My title says it all. I really need help with my career and goals. Not sure how I felt off the boat in the first place. Let me start of by saying that I am very intelligent individual and have a lovely supported family. However, my failure speaks different, though I feel intelligent. sometimes, I feel like I let everyone down and aggravates me to think that I felt behind compare to my friends.

This all started while I was attending college for first two years then decide to drop out of college to run a family business. Everything felt great, I felt good in life and though I was succeeding in life. Boy was I wrong. When recession hit we lost everything plus more debt started staggering. However ,meanwhile the restaurant was opened I did attended non traditional private college ( u of p ) online to obtain my bs in business management. What a waste of time. I should have of went to traditional university. Name of the university matters in a job search. y.

With lot of debt, I desperately started searching for jobs through online search, networking , pretty much anything I can think of making myself marketable. With no luck, I finally settle for low level paying job ; tech support I ($13.00 hr) . Every day at work was like living hell. I was smarter, better, superior than my colleagues, I knew it, but that didn't matter since I was tech 1 and had to downgrade my resume just to get an interview. Though, I might at least help pay off some debt on $13.00 hr. Well I stood by my current position for over a year and I finally had it. No opportunity to advance lead to more frustration. My ability to perform well on the job decreased dramatically, reset is history.

Now that I don't have a job, I feel confident, happy, somewhat. :) I know I can do better, I have the right attitude to pick myself up as I did five years ago. But how ?

Can someone point me in the right direction toward a career that has potential to advance with job satisfaction.

I started narrowing down my career, any input is helpful.

Software Engineer, Computer, IT.
- Too much out sourcing, hard to get a job . Most of position require five to ten years of exp. I have 0. Except, tech support :(

Restaurant Manager
- Trying to get away from restaurant business.

- Pharmacy
- started my prerequisite. Will take 2 years to complete.

- PE Engineer
- Need a four year engineer degree.

- Go back to school either for MBA or another bachelor ? Master will over qualify me.

That's all I got. suggestion ?

I feel I wasted a year and half of my life doing nothing, learning nothing. I can't list a single darn skill that I walked away with. Nothing. This is sad.

Through networking I may be able to get a job interview in six months or so , but I need something now. I will never do a tech support job making $13.00 again. Mind you that I am 27 with a bachelor degree.

If your still reading my thread, I thank you.

Ben.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: I Need Help.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 am 

Ben,

Times are tough. I know that is not much comfort but it also means you can't just blame yourself for your situation. From where you are your best bet is to decide what you want to do and then settle in for the long haul to pursue whatever you decide to do. That list of yours is all over the map. Everything you list is a perfectly good profession but they are not even related. Pick one and do what it takes to succeed in that field.

As for the U of P, do you mean University of Phoenix? Because the problem there is that they are NOT ACCREDITED. It's not the name of the school that is so important. It is accreditation. Before you start a new program make sure it is accredited. That is incredibly important.

If you already have a bachelor's degree then probably the best thing for you to do is get an MBA. And MBA from an accredited school will "purge" the bachelor's degree not being respected.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 am 

Thank you for your support.

U of P = University of Phoenix. I thought U of P is accredited .

I'm debating if I should enroll in MBA program from tier 1 university or finish up prereqs for pharmacy school . I have deep respect for the field of science and pharmaceutical drug interaction. Also, can't beat the fact their career is solid . On the other hand, MBA is superior if and only acquired through tier 1 college.

MBA route = 2 years. ( Will need to fight for a job ) Prereq: GMAT
Pharmacy = 5 (85% guaranteed of job. ) Prereq: PCAT

Question is, which one ?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:06 pm 

benworld wrote:
Thank you for your support.

U of P = University of Phoenix. I thought U of P is accredited .

I'm debating if I should enroll in MBA program from tier 1 university or finish up prereqs for pharmacy school . I have deep respect for the field of science and pharmaceutical drug interaction. Also, can't beat the fact their career is solid . On the other hand, MBA is superior if and only acquired through tier 1 college.

MBA route = 2 years. ( Will need to fight for a job ) Prereq: GMAT
Pharmacy = 5 (85% guaranteed of job. ) Prereq: PCAT

Question is, which one ?

You should choose the career that you will enjoy most.

I'm not sure where you get the "tier 1" stuff from. Find a program that you can get into and afford then work hard and stick with it. You will get out of an MBA program what you put into it. As Ace Greenberg said on Bloomberg Radio yesterday - after 6 months you can't tell a Harvard MBA from one that got a degree from another school. You can only tell smart people from dumb ones. Tier 1 doesn't make you smart, it just makes you poor.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:02 am 

Here's my advice.

1) Tone down the attitude. Smarter, better and superior to your colleagues, but then your post is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors.

2) Don't go into Pharmacy if you are simply looking to make money. It's an excellent option if you truly love it, but it's two years for your pre-reqs, then something like seven more years before you'll be on your own. Plus, everyone is applying to pharmacy school right now. It's highly competitive, so you really have to commit yourself, and even then, there's no guarantee. There are a lot of unemployed chemists and biochemists that have a science background you lack. A lot of them can be coming from the pharmaceutical industry. Trust me, I know. I'm competing against them for jobs!

I'm not saying don't do it. Just make sure if you are going to, you have to go above and beyond. 4.0 with your pre-reqs, volunteer in a hospital, etc.

3) MBA - don't worry about tier 1. Just worry about getting in! I know Johns Hopkins has a brand new MBA program. They are accepting a lot of students to get it off the ground, or so I heard. That's an excellent school name, but I have no idea about the cost.

So that's my two cents. Now I have to go interview. Again with the unemployed chemists!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am 

kaitlyn142 wrote:
Here's my advice.

1) Tone down the attitude. Smarter, better and superior to your colleagues, but then your post is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors.

Noted. Found no desire to review grammatical and spelling error since this is a forum. Not an essay class.

2) Don't go into Pharmacy if you are simply looking to make money. It's an excellent option if you truly love it, but it's two years for your pre-reqs, then something like seven more years before you'll be on your own. Plus, everyone is applying to pharmacy school right now. It's highly competitive, so you really have to commit yourself, and even then, there's no guarantee. There are a lot of unemployed chemists and biochemists that have a science background you lack. A lot of them can be coming from the pharmaceutical industry. Trust me, I know. I'm competing against them for jobs!

I'm not saying don't do it. Just make sure if you are going to, you have to go above and beyond. 4.0 with your pre-reqs, volunteer in a hospital, etc.

I fully understand what it takes to be a pharmacist. Two years of prerequisite. Three years of pharmacy school (certain college ) . Total of five years.

3) MBA - don't worry about tier 1. Just worry about getting in! I know Johns Hopkins has a brand new MBA program. They are accepting a lot of students to get it off the ground, or so I heard. That's an excellent school name, but I have no idea about the cost.

Agree to certain extent. However, prestige of the college matters.

So that's my two cents. Now I have to go interview. Again with the unemployed chemists!

Good luck on your interview.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill