dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Quick Book Review: The Real Lincoln ...

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Post subject: Quick Book Review: The Real Lincoln ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 am 

Quick Book Review: The Real Lincoln
I've had this book in my queue for some time and just completed it. A very interesting read. Much of the information we've been fed about Lincoln for years us mistaken. And significant parts of other things have been either watered-down or simply ignored. This book gives insight into the true causes for the war between the states.
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/quick-book-review-real-lincoln.html

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Interesting. If I remember correctly, Ken Burns' Civil War series makes some of these same points. At the very least, it does an excellent job of describing the concerns of the Confederacy. When I was a boy in school, I learned that the Civil War was all about slavery. It was about more than that. In reality, it went to the very heart of the conflicts that were built into the United States from its inception.

An eye-opening book for me was Founding Brothers, especially the introduction where the author describes how the conflict between liberal and conservative views is nothing news, but has essentially been playing out since the U.S. was born. I'd never been taught that, but now, looking back, it's easy to see how this is the case. And, of course, our modern media does nothing to indicate that this ideaological struggle has been going on for 250+ years. In a way, it's comforting to know that all the rancor is actually commonplace, and not a new era in American politics.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:41 am 

That reminds me of some of the later chapters in Jansen's Making of Modern Japan, specifically the issues that led up to the start of World War II. The average American school would have you believe that WWII started when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, but few basic history classes explain why they did it. Among other reasons: Oil.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:03 am 
Site Admin

I wonder if there's something wrong with the way history is taught, especially at the high school level. I often say now that if I were to do college over again, I'd be a history major. I've done a lot of reading in the past decade, and it's served to demonstrate just how important and fascinating history really is. But I never would have known that from my high school classes, which were mostly a bunch of dates and battles.

History becomes fascinating when:

1. You're able to see the Big Picture, able to see how so many different things connect. It was an awe-inspiring moment when I saw that the French Revolution led to Napoleo led to [a bunch of stuff that I've forgotten] led to the assassinationg that sparked WWI led to Nazi-ism led to WWII led to the Cold War led to NOW. Obviously I'm over-simplifying things, but there is a Big Picture, and you can trace how all of these things connect. Events don't occur in isolation. This is one reason I'm so frustrated by the portrayal of the current "war on terrorism" in the media (and from both sides of the political fence). There are grander themes at work here. It's not only about oil. It's not only about a group of people "hating freedom". I think we'd all be much better off if we had the historical education to analyze what is happening.

2. You're able to see the Little Picture, able to see what day-to-day life was like for people at various points in history. I love all sorts of works — fiction and non- — that are able to transport me into another point of time. I'm a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian's novels precisely because he makes one feel what it was like to serve in the Royal Navy. Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's Diary of a Midwife is an excellent non-fiction account of life during the early years of the United States. Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage, for all its flaws, is a wonderful description of what it was like for early explorers setting off across the continent.

If I were to teach history, I would try to approach it from both these angles, and not from the middle-ground, which is filled with so many names and dates, etc.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill