Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Daisy from Kansas City, MO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 am 

Hi all,

I found GRS through Ladies Against Feminism, which linked to Mrs. Darling's first post about getting by on one income. I've been hooked ever since!

I'm 31, with one 4 y/o and one 8 month/o. I stayed at home with my first, but now have to work part time. I've gotten a lot of tips from this site about living more frugally, and we are doing much better, but still I'm currently unable to stay home full-time, which is the next goal. Becoming completely debt free is too far off to contemplate with a mortgage and student loans that are kind of unbelievable.

I do blog, at http://www.reluctantpublicity.blogspot.com. I'm not incredbily computer-savvy, but I can usually hold my own. My personal financial obsessions are living on one income and financing college without debt. Both my husband and I have bachelor's degrees in business (his is also in Accounting), and he has his MBA. Sadly, this means that we have gargantuan student loans. They have been consolidated, and are at about the lowest interest rate I've ever heard of, but we'll be paying on them for a LONG time. Thankfully, we can get good interest rates on loans we need because we do have excellent credit.

Anyway, that's me. Sorry if there's too much info. Just in case I ever forget to explain it, if I refer to my kids, Echo is the 4 y/o and Little One is the baby.

Daisy

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Daisy. I'll be posting Mrs. Darling's third part about living on one income sometime soon. You may have already read it at her site, but if not, watch for it!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:40 am 

Hey...

I have no idea where I found GRS from. I'm 29, married to a beautiful wife for just under two years now. I'm a small biz owner, made some pretty good money for the past few years, but still feel like there really isn't much to show for it. I did manage to pay off my student loans, own two cars free and clear and have a beautiful house... but the mortgage is rather high. Other then the mortgage we have no debt... managed to pay off the student loans and the CC is paid off monthly.

I think I was searching on whether to invest my money or pay down the mortgage when I found GRS.

Great little site.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hi. I'm Cady.

I'm just a simple country librarian trying to decrease my debt and increase my bottom line. I'm here mainly because many of my friends in real life haven't started down this path yet and I need to have some positive reinforcement of my new habit of saving. I posted more personal stuff in my financial fitness journal here. Thanks for starting this great community JD, Jethro and all the others behind the scenes.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Hello from San Diego!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:22 am 

Hi,
I'm Shanna and I have been reading this 'blog for the past month or two. I enjoy the content and find many useful tips. I am a proponent of living lightly and small--570 sf to be exact! I am a writer/grant writer/consultant in my spare time (ha!) and a full-time grant writer for a prominent museum here in San Diego.

I guess that's enough for now!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 pm 

Hi, I'm Kate from Ottawa, Canada. I'm a 37 year old mother of four and just started working about a year and a half ago after being a stay at home mom for 13 years. Personal finance is a big interest/hobby for me. I love to read all kinds of PF books and websites. I'm looking forward to good discussions here.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:27 am 

Kate wrote:
Hi, I'm Kate from Ottawa, Canada. I'm a 37 year old mother of four and just started working about a year and a half ago after being a stay at home mom for 13 years. Personal finance is a big interest/hobby for me. I love to read all kinds of PF books and websites. I'm looking forward to good discussions here.

Wow, another person with four kids. We have four boys, ages 2-9.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:33 am 

nickel wrote:
Wow, another person with four kids. We have four boys, ages 2-9.

Too funny, mine are all girls, ages 9 to 14.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:52 pm 

I just realized I've been posting here since the forum opened but never introduced myself.

I live in Montréal, and moved here from Vermont five years ago to live with my girlfriend, who emigrated here from France about 20 years ago. I work as an environmental writer, editor, and project manager for a consulting firm based in Washington, DC. I've been working from home since 1993, so basically have a portable job...I just took it with me when I moved here.

There are two periods in life when we tend to focus on money: when we don't have enough, and when we have more than we need. I've spent most of my life in the first situation but am now happily in the second. During my 20s and most of my 30s I worked for nonprofits and universities, and then worked as an environmental journalist until 10 years ago. I never intended to get into consulting, but fell into it through my otherwise disastrous attempt to make a living as a freelance writer. The cashflow challenges of my freelancing career also helped put me into credit card debt, which I finally paid off shortly after moving to Canada. I've been debt-free ever since and paid for my current car with cash.

I guess I earn enough now to be considered "rich," but you wouldn't know it. We live (and I work) in a small apartment in a rowhouse in St-Michel, the poorest borough of Montréal. Our place is wedged between the city dump and the train tracks. Because our rent is low ($550/month), I've been saving rapidly for a downpayment on a house, which we hope to buy later this year or early next. Despite prequalifying for a $900K mortgage, our plan is to buy a small 3BR home for no more than $300K and pay it off in 5 or 6 years. At 48 years old, I'm coming late into the game of buying my first house! I'm also working to increase our retirement savings (both of us are way behind where we should be on that front), plus I've set a goal of donating 10 percent of my gross income to charities each year.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds awesome, Brad. Sometimes starting late gives you a chance to do things right.

What sort of freelance writing were you going to do? Environmental stuff? Magazine articles? What sorts of challenges did you face?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:57 pm 

jdroth wrote:
Sounds awesome, Brad. Sometimes starting late gives you a chance to do things right.

What sort of freelance writing were you going to do? Environmental stuff? Magazine articles? What sorts of challenges did you face?

Before I started freelancing I had spent five or six years as an environmental journalist writing about climate change and ozone depletion for a commercial newsletter publisher. But I wanted to write more about field biology, ecology, natural history, and animal behavior, which were subjects closer to my heart. I had some credentials in that field, but I didn't realize there was so much competition in those areas when I started freelancing. I spent about 70 percent of my time researching and pitching story ideas, and only 30 percent of my time actually writing paying pieces for magazines and other publications. I wrote a few articles for Global Change magazine (now defunct) Earth magazine (also now defunct) and New Scientist (still around), and did get one nice assignment writing a chapter for a White House report, but the pay was low and it was a fixed-price contract...I think I would have made more per hour if I was flipping burgers at McDonald's! In the end, I discovered that specialized journalists tend to be like actors: you get typecast. Everyone knew me as someone who wrote about climate change and ozone depletion, and it was really hard for me to break out of that mold. Eventually I got some steady freelance work writing about climate change for a government agency (through a contractor), and that ultimately turned into the fulltime job that I have now.

The other big challenge I faced with freelancing was within myself. I'm a person who really requires external accountability: I need an assignment and a deadline if I'm going to get anything done. Even now I ask my clients to give me deadlines; it's the kiss of death to tell me "oh, there's no rush on this, just send it to me when you can." I inherited my mother's creativity and my father's lack of initiative; it's a dangerous combination. I have a few friends who are very successful freelancers (my former editor earned a six-figure income as a freelancer), and I think the key to their success is that they're very self-disciplined and aggressive about getting work. For me, it was just too easy to say, "oh it's a gorgeous day, I'll work for a couple of hours and then spend the afternoon in my canoe."

Finally, the big mistake I made was something I knew was a mistake right from the start but I did it anyway: I didn't have any cushion (aka emergency fund). Unless you already have clients lined up when you start freelancing, the first year is going to be lean and you should have enough saved up to live on for six months or more. I didn't have that, but I hadn't really planned on freelancing, the opportunity just fell in my lap when the publisher decided to fold the newsletter I was working on. They offered me another job writing about some topic I had no interest in, so I decided to jump ship and set out on my own. I made it, but the first year was scary...my total income was something like $6,000!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Greetings from Maryland
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:29 pm 

Hi, I'm Brian, 25 (feeling 30 already), married, and I just moved at the beginning of this year to just north of Washington, D.C. in Maryland to get closer to my job. If anyone tells you you can do a 2+ hr. commute each way to work every weekday, make a funny face to show you think they're crazy. I got a lot of those looks before I moved. ;)

I think I found GRS from digg.com, and I've been actively reading it and some other personal finance blogs, trying to get a hold on where in my life I need, want, or should go from here. I hope to contribute to the discussions here both giving and recieving as many tidbits of information as I can. :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:57 am 

Hi, I'm Jac. I'm 22, and I'm a software engineering student in Brisbane, Australia. I'm focussed on paying off the credit card from my recent exchange trip, and saving enough to go away again when I graduate at the end of next year, not forgetting a couple trips around Australia and to NZ between now and then. I found getrichslowly through jd on metafilter when I began planning my finances for the exchange, and I've been reading it constantly ever since then - a major factor in my ability to even think about travelling again so soon!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:19 pm 

22 y/o software developer here. I stumbled across GRS via mymoneyblog.com and found it interesting... nice to find other twenty-somethings interested in personal finance! Although, I suppose I might be a bit of an anomaly... I've never been in debt due to my good fortune in having an account at the Bank of Dad. But, I'm doing my best to rely solely on myself, started working full-time a year ago and now have a sizeable chunk stashed in a 401k, employee stock plan, and emergency fund in high-yield savings accounts and CDs. Actually, my parents think I'm too frugal, and should splurge a bit more. Meh. I'm still working on finding something I'm passionate about, and since I have no clue what that is, I figure, better safe than sorry, and save up... just in case my passion ends up being, say, a startup that requires loads of capital. :wink:

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm still working on finding something I'm passionate about, and since I have no clue what that is...

I had no idea what I was passionate about, either, until this blog fell into my lap. Then it suddenly became clear that everything in my life had been building toward this: my psychology degree, my love of writing, my past several years blogging, and even my personal debt. Sometimes it is simply impossible to see where your life is leading you until you reach your destination. The key, I think, is to be mindful, to be aware of opportunities. If I hadn't seen the chance to start Get Rich Slowly, I'd still be miserable.

Welcome, by the way! Jonathan at mymoneyblog is actually a close neighbor (within five miles), though we've never met. He's a good guy. I like to read his site because it's very different from my own.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next