Inspiring Article: Never Too Old to Tri

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

Croz

Inspiring Article: Never Too Old to Tri

Postby Croz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:14 pm

My current obsessions are fitness and finances. I'm trying to get in physical and financial shape, starting this year. One thing that held me back was the feeling that I was "too old" to make those changes. (I know I'm only 38, but it's not the years, it's the mileage.)

In today's Tampa Tribune, there's an article about the St. Anthony's Triathlon, (a triathlon is a 1.5 km swim, a 40 km bike ride, and a 10 km run) and some of the more unusual triathletes. In particular, they're all over 70. Charlie Futrell is 86, and competing in his 17th triathlon. He competed in his first ironman competition at 72. (An Ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112-mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run.) He started training at 65.

Another person started triathlons AFTER having to have a double knee replacement. At 65, she didn't know how to ride a bike, or swim. But she learned and competed anyway.

So next time you think you're too old to be financially or physically fit, think of these folks.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBVY2OLZ0F.html

Amazing people.

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for this article, Croz. I'm on a weekend vacation with friends, and we've been eating rich food. I just looked in the mirror and told myself that I need to begin exercising again. This sort of thing is motivational.

Croz

Postby Croz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:24 am

Thanks JD. I was really moved by the article. Like I said, the web article left the pictures out, like the one of Charlie Futrell (86) wearing his race gear and all of his medals.

It's never too late!

Return to “General Discussion”