Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am

Post subject: Career change, less stress?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 am 

Ive been working the last few years as a pharmaceutical rep. The industry right now is going through consistent and massive layoffs. I purchased a very modest house a few months ago. Mortgage is actually lower than my previous rent but the taxes are high (NY-$10K year). I have two young children and my wife does not work. The last year or so I have had building anxiety and lately it has become extreme. I feel as if I don't know what to do next, despite my education. I worry too that if I take a second job that I wont be able to spend time with my kids much. At this point I just want to get rid of this extreme anxiety.

Has anyone left a higher paying job for a lower paying one or perhaps even the lower paying job and a second job to make up the difference? At this point I'd rather live much more frugally and keep my health as opposed to making more money and getting sick.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Career change, less stress?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 am 

No job is worth your health. If you can live on a tighter budget, do it.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:31 pm 

I left a steady job to freelance full time. My wife was in full support. We had to tighten our belts for a few months, but we got it done because we had to. You'll find a way.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm 

Thanks for the positive comments. I have my resume out there. I have been feeling so ill lately. Im trying my best to get out of my toxic and hostile work environment. I just hope I can find a job doing something I enjoy that will pay the bills. I guess in 3-4 years my kids will be in school my wife can bring some income in to help matters.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 pm 

for some of us it seems so hard to get the money from the job we really love. the common thing is that we must love our job to earn money. well, that is life :)
don't push yourself too much in making money. take a look deeply on your in and outcome. if there is a possible way for you to tighten the belts then it may the time. you will find a way. besides, you said your wife will get a work right? seems everything will be better in the future.
good luck.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 am 

Thanks for the replies. I have to hang in for another 3 years ago until my kids are in school full time. At that point she can bring in some income. I am so stressed from the hostility at work. There are a couple of things I would like to do but from what I know is that the salaries will not pay my mortgage, even though its a small one. Unless am I overlooking other things I can do to make up for this income?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 am 

Hi,

It is sad because you want to spend time with your children, and no job it worth that much stress because usually, children can pick up on parents habits. Has you ask your boss what the situation is like in your current firm? (Maybe positive, and will ease your mind) and if you do take a lower paid job, everyone eventually adapts because you have to.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:06 am 

I don't really have advice. However i do know two people that have left that field since April. Both were super successful and made tons of $. One came into a few million that allowed retirement before 40. The other just simply couldnt take the stress . The one that couldnt take the stress and travel gradually cut her lifestyle way way down, got debt free but a small home and is working on her own company in an unrelated field.

This is likely a silly ? but have you shared with your wife how stressed you are? How old are your kids? Is there anyway for your wife to bring in a little $ on the side. It would help you get in a position to be able to change careers faster. As a wife who has worked a little on the side the last 15 years I honestly would do anything in my power ,within my physical capabilities to take some of the pressure of my husband if he were really stressed.

I hope you find the answer and good luck

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill