Forum Questions? Problems? Shout-Outs of Love? Right here.

Information about Get Rich Slowly and these forums. Introduce yourself here!
This is also a great place to share your projects (blogs, for example) with other members.

Moderator: lvergon

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue May 27, 2008 8:42 pm

jdroth wrote:It may be time for me to mix up the anti-spam measures here. I tried to fix things so that it was easier for people to register, but at what cost? Is it better to have everyone register and be spammed? Or is it better to have the people who can't read not register and also block the spam?

It's better to have more mods, or a "report post" feature, or both.

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 am

A report post feature would be helpful, maybe its in the new version of phpbb

We're getting rid of spam at worst a few hours after its posted. Thats pretty good.
C.R.E.A.M
Government Economist
CoffeeCents - PF lessons in 15 minutes
Czar of GRS Forums.

Scenario Thinker

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 am

I think you would get rid of almost all of it by not allowing new people to post a new thread until they've responded a few times to others posts.

Has there been any spam in the responses of a thread? I haven't seen any here, granted many times they've already been deleted by the time I see a notice for spam. Even if they manually did that, it wouldn't be that many to get rid of. It seems like the BOTs are able to create new threads easily for their spam.
S.Thinker

....o
^/v
/>

Nuggie99

Postby Nuggie99 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:I think you would get rid of almost all of it by not allowing new people to post a new thread until they've responded a few times to others posts.

That might help, but it would also hurt the person who just found GRS and wants to ask "Should I liquidate my variable annuity" or "How do I deal with my 2 year contract with DirectTV that I want to get rid of?" or whatever.

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Wed May 28, 2008 6:10 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:I think you would get rid of almost all of it by not allowing new people to post a new thread until they've responded a few times to others posts.

Has there been any spam in the responses of a thread? I haven't seen any here, granted many times they've already been deleted by the time I see a notice for spam. Even if they manually did that, it wouldn't be that many to get rid of. It seems like the BOTs are able to create new threads easily for their spam.

Yeah, threads have been spammed after theyve started.
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Scenario Thinker

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 am

Nuggie99 wrote:

That might help, but it would also hurt the person who just found GRS and wants to ask "Should I liquidate my variable annuity" or "How do I deal with my 2 year contract with DirectTV that I want to get rid of?" or whatever.

Well, the logic is to become part of the community by responding to posts and maybe helping out a little before you start asking for help yourself right away. A lot of one time posters asking for help never respond back anyhow.
S.Thinker

....o
^/v
/>

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 am

I dont think we're going to restrict the ability for a new member to post. Unless spam gets really out of hand....
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

NoBoB

Postby NoBoB » Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 pm

jdroth wrote:...Or is it better to have the people who can't read not register and also block the spam?

Anyway, people who can't read probably won't be helped much by a site that's, you know, written :D

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 pm

On my list of things to do is to move the anti-spam code (and to change it) so that it's not so easy to get to. I don't want to institute a rule that people have to participate before posting. That works in some forums, but this is pretty low volume, and I send a LOT of people over here when I don't have time to answer them myself. :)

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Spam isnt that bad of a problem. But if we put the code somewhere better...

JD, can you also auto-send an email to each new signup expressedly stating that we proactively ban spammers?
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 pm

JerichoHill wrote:JD, can you also auto-send an email to each new signup expressedly stating that we proactively ban spammers?

Spammers expect to get banned, so I'm not sure the emails would have an impact other then creating more work.

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 pm

I think cleverbeans is correct. Anyone who is actually spamming knows they are spamming and ending an e-mail is just going to give them something else to spam!

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 am

you know, i thought I had a good idea, but I clearly didnt think it through ...DOH
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:39 am

How about a lower tier mod position that can only lock threads for review by a full mod? This stop the spam from being bumped and uses the best spam filter available - people. It could potentially be abused but I think it would probably be less likely to happen then spam and is easy enough to fix.

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 am

Well, right now I knwo Dylan is very active on the forums as our moderator. Nickel and Jethro are also mods, but they're not as active. JD is the other site admin, but Im always telling him to let me worry about this place and he can concentrate on putting out more great articles.

Hmm.
Let me see whats available to me.
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Return to “News & Announcements”