I'd like to thank the Academy...

Have you paid off your debt? Managed to save for your dream home? Had an awesome investment pan out? Share your personal finance success stories here.

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

saro

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Postby saro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 am

Just kidding, the Academy has nothing to do with it. I would like to thank y'all though. Your support has truly been tremendous. Both the forum and the website has made this journey both bearable and has been a genuine source of information. Thank you.

I have paid off all my student loans. I'm debt free. It still doesn't feel 'real' yet but it sure was nice looking at 'Paid in Full' on my account statement.

The last one was a monster, the loan that financed my law school education = $106K

Here's what I paid off, with the majority being paid off over the last three years:

$106,480.16 + 69,797.67 + $46,934.13 + $6,500 = $229,711.96

Wow, that's alot of money. I don't think I've every counted it all up together (too scary).

What's next? A baby, looking into buying a home and some more frivolous things I've been wanting but haven't felt really great about purchasing with all my debt (a roomba, books, new shoes and new clothes!). I keep thinking about what I want to buy, but I am too afraid to actually buy. I think I need to start thinking about budgeting again. My husband, who is not prone to impulse purchases at all, doesn't like the idea of specific 'funds' and monthly budgets. But I think I need it, I'll have to figure out something that works for the both of us.

Tightwad

Re: I'd like to thank the Academy...

Postby Tightwad » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:59 am

Wow. Well done. You go girl. :D

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Wow, that's amazing. Congratulations!

bpgui

Postby bpgui » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Congratulations!!! That's a mountain of debt gone!

BTW: On the roomba, we got one as a wedding gift, and I was very disappointed with it. It worked alright for awhile, but after 9 months to a year, the battery stopped holding a charge. It couldn't even complete a room and would just die in the center.

saro

Postby saro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks Everyone!

@bpgui - Sad about the roomba though, but it helps divert my energies. :)

Return to “Success Stories”